ProGold ProLink Chain Lube

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

• Store Price

Progold ProLink Chain Lube is a thin-bodied lubricant which utilizes metal friction reducer technology for smooth shifting and a quiet drive train. Does not build up or become tacky; sheds dirt, mud, and abrasives. Also repels moisture and prevents corros

Submitted by Paul S

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to apply. Keeps chain beautifully clean. Increases lifespan of chain. Doesn't cake up on jockey wheels and cogs like dry lubes do.

Weaknesses:    Has to be applied more often.

Bottom Line:
This is easily the best lube I've ever used. I was so sick of wax-based dry lubes caking up on everything and filthy wet lubes. This stuff is easy to apply and easy to remove. To begin with, I used a heavy duty engine degreaser to clean all the waxy crap of my chain, then let it dry thoroughly. I applied the ProLink in the usual way (drip it on the chain while rotating) and wiped off the excess. I let it dry overnight and off I went the next morning. I was amazed at how clean the chain remained!

After ever second or third ride, I just wipe the chain over, and reapply and wipe off the excess. It takes about 5 mins. After every 6th or 7th ride, I degrease the chain with Morgans Blue, let it dry and reapply. Easy!

Submitted by eigenvector9 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    Best lube I ever used. I've been riding seriously since the 1980s and remember fondly dipping your chain in wax on the stove. ProGold beats anything and everything I've ever tried.

Weaknesses:    extra steps required to use properly...not for everyone

Bottom Line:
Best bike lube I've ever used BUT you need to know how to work with it. ProGold is NOT for folks who apply lube twice a year. It requires some maintenance but in my experience, it's well worth the effort. Nothing else I've used keeps my Campy drivetrains shifting as flawlessly as ProGold.

I ride a Campy Record 10-speed chain and use the following application process:

1) Strip chain in an aggressive solvent
2) Allow chain to dry overnight
3) Place chain in a bath of Prolink ProGold and allow to bathe overnight
4) Remove chain, wipe down and allow to dry overnight
5) Put chain on bike and ride.
6) After each ride, quickly wipe chain in a cloth and apply a minimal amount of ProGold. Allow this to dry before the next ride.

Your chain will stay clean, beautifully lubed and last for a very long time. One mistake folks make with ProGold is to apply it just before riding and this is not optimal. In my experience, it's better to allow the chain to fully dry before riding.

There's another step I add to the listed process above which makes ProGold even better. Once I put the chain into the initial ProGold bath, I place the container in the oven and heat until 275 degrees for one hour. Then I remove from the oven and allow the container to cool. Once it returns to room temperature, I transfer to a plastic tub and allow the chain to soak overnight. ProGold chemically bounds to the surface of the metal in the chain and gently heating it up will expand the metal slightly, allowing ProGold to better adhere to the metal surfaces.

Favorite Ride:   Rolling hills with a few ball-busters thrown in for good measure

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   I've tried everything at one time or another. Found ProGold back in 2004 and haven't used anything else since.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey R230, Campy Chorus 10-UD/UT, Edge 2.0 Carbon Fork

Submitted by Steve a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Strengths:    Price, it is cheap.

Weaknesses:    You get what you pay for. There is a lot of hype. Really messy, and needs constant re-application.

Bottom Line:
This stuff is way over rated. It is very messy and has to be re-applied almost every time you go for a ride.

Favorite Ride:   100kms

Purchased At:   Spoken

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line Ceramic Lube. Tri-Flow.

Bike Setup:   Trek Carbon with Campagnolo.

Submitted by pbeliveau a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Lasts long time

Weaknesses:    oily

Bottom Line:
Best lube I have ever used. It lasts a long time and keeps my drivetrain clean

Favorite Ride:   prolink pro gold

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   all

Submitted by Veronikafan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Performs as advertised

Weaknesses:    Drip applicator is messy and tedious to apply--just take your time, or use the PG2000 spray

Bottom Line:
This is marketed by the same folks that make PG2000 spray lube. The formula is similar, although this "bicycle specific" drip bottle product has a heavier consistency.
This is the best chain lube that I have tried. Clean your new chain with solvent before the first application. Allow it to dry overnight after applying.
The product dries almost completely, yet provides effective lubrication. Will not gum up the derailleur pulleys or pick up much road dirt. Repels water and lasts many hundreds of miles between applications.

Favorite Ride:   Hunterdon, Co., NJ

Similar Products Used:   Boeshield T-9, Pedro's, Campagnolo, 3-in-1 oil, generic 30W motor oil, etc.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Classic, Dura Ace components, handbuilt wheels

New 1090R chain - leave stock lube or use Prolink

Just put on a new 1090R chain (along with big ring and cassette), should I leave the stock lubrication and clean/lube the chain with Pro link??Read More »

Did ProLink chain lube change their bottle?

So this might be a weird question but... I tried to find it on the interwebs the other day and I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right stuff... on the mtbr website, on the reviews of Prolink chain lube, it's a white bottel with blue letters and a narrow top. Then I tried to order some on amazo ... Read More »

Is ProLink Chain Lube ok for Cleats?

[URL="http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html"]http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html[/URL] I sent a friend to get some lube for my speedplay cleats and the lbs adamantly recommended this lube, he even specificly told them it would be for cleats. This lube is a very thin liquid ... Read More »