Home | Reviews | Pump | Lezyne

Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive Floor Pump

The Alloy Floor Drive pump is a precision high pressure floor pump. Created to be durable and aesthetically pleasing, this pump was created with a CNC- machined aluminum barrel and base, a steel piston, and a varnished wood handle. The A...

Submitted by scott

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    pretty hanging on wall?

Weaknesses:    breaks valves, hard to read gauge, expensive, customer service poor

Bottom Line:
Pretty disappointing for a high-end pump. gauge goes to 220 psi -- twice the psi of a road tire -- so it's really hard to get an accurate reading.

Worst is that when you're done pumping and go to remove it one of two things happen: either removes the valve core or breaks it. Called Lezyne service and they said they have a new chuck adapter that I should go buy. So basically I have to go spend an hour driving around to bike shops and spend another $20 just to get an expensive $80 pump to not break tubes/valve stems.

Just buy another brand from the start and save yourself the hassle. If you really want a Lezyne, mine is for sale cheap!

Submitted by Gary Lee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    Superior build quality
Extra long hose
Easy to use Speed Chuck (once you get used to it)
Comfortable wooden handles (which are nice on cold days compared to metal handles)
Rebuildable
Large gauge/dial
Has a slot to place the valve head/chuck so you can wrap the hose around the top of the handle to keep it out of the way and undamaged.
Shiny (blingy) CNC machined aluminum casing and it comes in colors if the shiny silver isn't your style.
Sturdy base

Weaknesses:    The gauge could be a little closer, but that's more due to my age and eyesight!
Need to wipe the Speed Chuck clean once in a while so it screws on smoothly.

Bottom Line:
Let's face it, we'd all love to get the top model CNC Floor Drive, but when practicality and affordability come into play the best bang for the buck out of the Lezyne pumps is the Alloy Floor Drive at just under $80. I chose the Lezyne brand because of their reputation and the ability to rebuild it if anything on it broke. I've tried other cheaper pumps but I found that there was a reason they were so much cheaper. Once they broke you basically had to throw them away. No longer is the case with Lezyne's line of pumps!

I've had this pump for over a year and have used it on road bikes, mountain bikes and even my kids bikes with 12" and 20" tires. I had to thread the hose through the spokes to get a good angle on the 12" wheel but once you figure that out it's really easy to use. Also, getting used to the twist on "Speed Chuck" instead of the "clamp" type on other brands like the Topeak Joe Blow took only a couple of attempts to get used to. But with the narrower head of the Lezyne Speed Chuck it was easier to pump up those small 12" tires/wheels!

Like I said, I've had this pump for over a year and it's been very reliable. You can use it for both schrader and presta valves by simply unscrewing the head and flipping it to the other side. With the screw on style head/chuck I found that the rubber seals don't get shredded up like the clamp style heads do after prolonged use. And if you have short valve stems, it's easier to get a positive seal when you screw on the chuck instead of trying to jam a clamp style head onto it, especially if the tire has little to no air in it.

Overall, this has been the best bang for the buck pump I've ever owned. It's easy to use and the long effortless travel of the piston makes pumping up the tires quick and easy. And so far I've had no problems with it so I've not had to think about rebuilding it. But that's why I bought Lezyne, for its superior, long lasting quality.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere that's not on the trainer!

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes