Camelbak Podium Ice Insulated Water Bottle Water Bottles/Cages

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Insulated Water Bottle using Zero Loft Extreme Insulation

Submitted by TucsonMTB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to squeeze for a drink.
Stay cold better than others we have used.
Not too bulky.
Water tastes good.

Weaknesses:    I may have to buy my wife another bottle or two to take to her yoga classes, etc. She has stopped using other bottles completely.

Bottom Line:
My wife really likes cold water. I could care less, but she lugged around those big Polar bottles with ice cubes most of the summer. Did I mention it gets warm here in the Tucson area? Anyway, she has trouble squeezing the Polar bottles and they do not fit in her small frame very well, so I bought her a couple of the Podium Ice bottles.

You know, it's nice being a hero with your wife . . . lots of benefits! She loves being able to squeeze them easily and how easily they go in and out of her bottle cages. That they seem to stay cold noticeably longer than the Polar bottles is a nice added benefit.

They do not seem to pick up flavors as readily as her other bottles either.

Favorite Ride:   Anything on my Addict

Purchased At:   Oro Valley Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Polar insulated and many other conventional bottles.

Bike Setup:   My wife has a small framed LeMond Zurich with carbon bottle cages and a compact crank, but otherwise stock, except for a stem and bars that fit her better than the stock parts did.

Submitted by gtpharr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Looks nice. Valve is nice, but it is the same as standard Podium and Podium Chill Jacket bottles.

Weaknesses:    Way too expensive and only very slight improvement over similar insulated water bottles.

Bottom Line:
Camelbak claims the Podium Ice insulated water bottle will keep beverages cool 4 times longer than a standard water bottle. It may well do that, but I bought one expecting the insulation would be a significant improvement over the Camelbak Podium Chill Jacket which is Camelbak's other insulated water bottle.

The Podium Ice is very expensive at $20 which is nearly double the cost of a Camelbak Podium Chill Jacket or Polar Insulated bottle.

I purchased the new Podium Ice on 8/14. I took it home and put it to the test. I filled the new Podium Ice, a Podium Chill Jacket, and a Polar Insulated (3 bottles) with exactly 8 oz of water and froze them overnight for 18 hours.

This morning I added exactly 8 oz of room temp water to each bottle and set them all out in the sun side by side.

I checked them every 30 minutes or so. I shook them up each time I checked them to mix the ice and water. I did not notice much difference in the ice size during these regular checks. The final check was at 2 hours and 45 minutes in which I found all ice had melted in the Chill Jacket and Polar Insulated. The Podium Ice had a very, very small piece of ice that completely melted as soon as I shook the bottle a couple of times.

I tasted the water in all 3 bottles and did find that the Podium Ice was slightly colder than the other two. However, in my opionion the difference was very slight and the bottle is definitely not worth double the price of the Podium Chill Jacket or Polar Insulated.

I am returning my bottle today for refund and would not recommend this bottle to others.

Favorite Ride:   n/a