Elite Ciussi Water Bottles/Cages

• Store Price

72 grams

Submitted by DaveG

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    super cool looks

Weaknesses:    loose grip on bottle
overpriced

Bottom Line:
These look great on my Colnago Master. However, these really should not cost $25+ a piece. I have not ejected a bottle, yet but I am sure it will happen as these provide a very light grip on the bottles. I give these an A for appearance, a C for functions and a D on price

Submitted by gkrawzoff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Poor construction and poorer warranty support.

Bottom Line:
My Elite Ciussi cage cracked at the weld with the base plate. Their warranty rep claims "nothing lasts forever" but I've never had a cage break this fast.

Similar Products Used:   Many other cages over the years. American Classic stands out as a much better product.

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by AJS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Strengths:    ~ Doesn't rust, corrode, or cause discoloration.

~ Timeless, old-school looks.

Weaknesses:    ~ Would like to see a choice in button colors instead of only the red.

~ Light enough for me, but not uber-light for some of you weight weenies.

~ Not cheap, but nor are CF cages. OTOH, if a $25.-$30. cage can last this long, then I guess it IS a good value.

Bottom Line:
I have had this one Elite stainless steel cage for almost 5 years now. I bought a generic Specialized painted Al cage once at a shop when it was a hot day and I couldn't find an Inox cage.

The SS Elite hasn't broken at a weld or tossed a single bottle yet, so I've never seen any reason to replace it with anything else. One of these days though, I'll get around to replacing that Al cage with another Inox for those hot days that require an extra bottle.

You don't get to be a "classic" by being a piece of junk.

Favorite Ride:   any road without traffic

Purchased At:   Lickton's of Illinoi

Similar Products Used:   Other designs that were obviously less great.

Bike Setup:   '03 Raleigh Professional

Submitted by jdmorris a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    Bottles stay in the cages no matter what. I've never lost one even crossing RR tracks where many people's bottles bail out. The plastic buttons don't mar bottles.

Weaknesses:    Limited lifetime. These break right at the welds (where competitors like American Classic said they would). I have to choose between replacing these annually or using another product. Water bottle cages shouldn't suddenly break during normal use!

Bottom Line:
I loved the Elite Ciussi Stainless cages - light, great hold, not too marring on bottles, but after about 10000 miles in 2 years one of them broke. Although it worked fine over the weekend's 150 miles it started to break and failed very quickly while there was no bottle in it while I was commuting to work on Monday. Thankfully it failed when I didn't need it and not on a 200k, a race, or a team ride.

Similar Products Used:   A variety of cheap and heavy cages that were indestructible but stupid heavy

Bike Setup:   Eddy Merckx Team SC, Dura-Ace

Submitted by took a Road Racer from D.C.

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    look cool, holds bottle securely

Weaknesses:    heavy, weak welds

Bottom Line:
had a pair of these on my back-up rig. The welds started to crack after a year. For a heavy cage, you think they'd be durable, but the welds cracked so I ditched them and went back to my blackburns. they look cool for sure, but for less $$ you can get something stronger and lighter.