Specialized Rib Cage Pro Water Bottles/Cages

2.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Our designer''s latest creation. Sleek new look and superior bottle retention. Made of Polycarbonite and Kraton for durable construction. Design makes it easy to insert bottle while riding.

Submitted by FatGut1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    Look cool

Weaknesses:    they are made of garbage and have no durability. Save your money.

Bottom Line:
Bought 2 of them used them for a couple of months. Pulled my bottle out and the cage pulled off the frame. Garbage!

Specialized should stick with bikes and leave everything else to other manufacturers.

Purchased At:   Montrose Bike Shop

Submitted by Doug Hansen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    Light, sleek looking. Actually held larger bottle better over a hard bump than my more conventional cage.

Weaknesses:    A flippin' rubber band? Fugedabout!!!

Bottom Line:
Loved when I found it super cheap at Recycled Cycles in Seattle. Bought it for $5. But, as I feared the rubber band broke and where do I find that. There are better cages out there or $20 new.

Favorite Ride:   1996 Kestrel 200 EMS

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Side pull is my new favorite favorite from Perfomance. Not sure of mfr. Too cheap to go carbon.

Bike Setup:   Older Kestrel 200 EMS with Mavic Open 32s DTSwiss, Michelin ProRace 2 Campy Chorus, ShiftMated to Shimano cluster, Cannodale bars $30, Selle SMP Pro seat.

Submitted by mojocracker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Weaknesses:    A flippin' rubber band? Fugedabout!!!

Favorite Ride:   1996 Kestrel 200 EMS

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by linuxted a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    looks cool, light

Weaknesses:    expensive, loose, flexy, noisy

Bottom Line:
Thought they were cool until I realized the noises on my ride were caused by the rubber/plastic of the cage rubbing on the plastic water bottle. Doesn't hold the bottles too snugly either. Oh, and if you have a clampon front derailler between the brazeons you'll have to make a cutout.

Similar Products Used:   blackburn mountain cage (heavier (77gm... big deal!)) but bottle does NOT move. Dead silent

Submitted by RSPDiver a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Strengths:    Looks like it belongs in the Victoria's Secret catalogue.

Weaknesses:    Too flexy, feet don't retain a heavy bottle over bumps, and some difficutly removing and replacing bottles.

Bottom Line:
These bottle cages look slick, and have great color combos for the truly vain riders. The one I bought (gloss black w/ red retention band) matched my old Peugeot frame perfectly.

I was a bit put off by the price, but figured it was probably worth it. I was wrong. It works fairly well, but it is flexible and I'm always concerned I'll break it replacing my bottle w/out looking. I carry larger bottles (22oz I think), and when full they can drop down past the stubby feet if you hit a moderate bump. That makes it even harder to remove the bottle, which is already a bit tricky given the flexible nature of the frame, slight stickiness of the material, and snug design.

It was just a bit too frustrating to justify a great review or ownership experience.

Purchased At:   Carolina Triathlon

Similar Products Used:   Specialized E Cage and similar.

Bike Setup:   Peugeot Performance 300 (1993-94 vintage)