Campagnolo Chorus Brake Calipers

• Anodized

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Paul a Recreational Rider from Santa Rosa, California

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Strengths:    1. smooth braking
    2. powerful - I brake hard on steep switchback hills
    3. easy centering adjustment
    4. look cool
    5. weight - Chorus weighs less than Ultegra gruppo

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    I have Chorus brakes on both my road bikes - they are powerful and have a smooth action.
    Before the design change in 1998-1999 I couldn't reach the levers from the drops (short fingers), so I could only brake from the hoods - even with less leverage they slow me down fine on steep switchback hills.

Chorus calipers are easy to adjust and center.

Reviewers complain about the weight - I don't know why - the Chorus gruppo is lighter than Ultegra, so what are they complaining about? "Just say NO to ShimaNO".
    Chorus is so much cheaper than Record that it gets 5 stars for value.

Favorite Ride:   Wine Country roads

Similar Products Used:   Mirage; various mountain bike brakes.

Bike Setup:   Kestrel with Rolf wheels; Bianchi Eros steel with Mavic wheels.

Submitted by Jeff Bolstad a Road Racer from Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2000

Strengths:    Work well, excellent finish work, come with campy pads

Weaknesses:    Not as smooth as shimano and heavier

Bottom Line:
    These brakes work much better than the mirage units they replaced, as one would expect from a dual pivot design. However, they lack the buttery, frictionless action that one gets with shimano calipers, despite the bearings. While theoretically they could have an edge in durability, I have yet to see a shimano caliper wear out.

The chorus units are also significantly heavier than shimano's offering.

If you're buying a gruppo, it's not worth worrying about having an inferior brake, but if you're buying brakes or your shop is willing to substitute, get shimano (just buy campy pads when the shimano ones wear out, which shouldn't be long).