Cane Creek SCR-3 Brake Calipers

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

Cane Creek SCR-3L Road Caliper Brakes: Extra long (47-57mm reach) arms for greater tire clearance. Dual pivot for equal pressure right-left. Cane Creek cartridge pads included...

Submitted by lebikerboy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    Fairly well finished.

Weaknesses:    Not the strongest calipers out there. Stock pads are terrible.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the SCR-3L which are the long reach version. I've had nothing but problems with these during the three years
I've been using them. High maintenance as compared to Shimano. They do work a lot better with Kool Stop Dura pads though.
I replaced them with Shimano BR-R650 brakes which are vastly superior IMO.

Bike Setup:   Trek Pilot

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    They work as advertised stopping my bike

Weaknesses:    The pads are horrible

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a used Trek Equinox that came with these Can Creek SCR-3 calipers. I was underwhelmed by their performance. I looked around and saw that other people suggested to replace the pads and I can confirm that does indeed make these much better performers. I just bought two pairs of Shimano brake pads and now they are nearly on the level performance of my other bikes Ultegra calipers. Obviously these calipers are cheaper, and they aren't quite Ultegra quality, but they seem good enough not to need to invest in new calipers now.

Submitted by biketyke a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2011

Strengths:    They do stop well. Stops are easy to modulate. Easy adjustment.

Weaknesses:    The original pads were noisy. They have since been replaced and the breaks just got even better.

Bottom Line:
The SCR 3's came as original equipment and now have over 3400 miles. They still adjust easily and the finish is still very nice.

Purchased At:   Original Equipment

Submitted by Scott_t_CT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Look Great and Nice Dual Action

Weaknesses:    Brake Pads

Bottom Line:
Just got the Cane Creek SCR-3 brakes, boy they look nice, and I like the dual action, my first go. Had old dura ace and centerpulls prior. As per reviewers recommendations I emediately changed the brake pad cartriges to Dura Ace Black. The cane creek inserts were grey and sounded like the scraped the wheel when applying pressure the the rims. I could see how they would ruin the rim very quickly.(Why don't they change that?; you would think they would want a better rep than that) Put on the new pads and Wha La! Soft but firm stopping power. NICE and THANKS!

Favorite Ride:   Tommaso Custom

Purchased At:   HOME

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra, 105

Submitted by John Doe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Strengths:    Great feel, light, easy setup, great finish

Weaknesses:    None noted

Bottom Line:
I bought these brakes to replace the no names that came with my OCR C3. I tried getting Ultegras, but they don't come in a long reach. The short reach version of these brakes are spec'ed on my wife's carbon Fuji Silhouette, which is mostly Ultegra. I found the setup to be very easy with great feel. It's too early to tell on the pads, but I'll give them time. I absolutely love the finish.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling