Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7700 Brake Calipers

• Oversize Coil Spring For More Uniform Tension

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bpbillings a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    Easy modulation (progressive), very powerful, 3 year warranty from Shimano, beautiful finish.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but I did a lot of shopping and got the best deal at BicycleBuys.com. Ultegra is probably a better value. Buy Ultegra but use the new Dura ace 7800 pads. I think they are the key to the progressive, powerful feel.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the new 2004 7800s. The pads are very progressive and easy to modulate as compared to my previous Ultegra. It looks like Shimano even used some of the design cues from Ultegra. Very powerful and it doesn't hurt that they have a Titanium finish that matches my Litespeed.

Favorite Ride:   Tour of the Unknown Coast

Purchased At:   BicycleBuys.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Ghisallo, Dura ace shifting and brakes, FSA RD-400 wheels, Truvativ triple crankset, FSA Ti bottom bracket, Litespeed seatpost and seat, Speedplay X-2 pedals, Control Tech skewers.

Submitted by Chris04065 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Weaknesses:    105 feels just as good but cost half the price.

Bottom Line:
    Used these brakes on my uncles Trek 5900 with Ksyrium wheels. I was able to nose wheelie going downhill with my hands still on the hoods. Very fade proof (that's more a function of the pads) and crisp feeling. No mush.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Brakes- that'd be on my bike(they suck) Magura disc, V-brakes, canti, all others

Bike Setup:   Used on Trek 5900

Submitted by Justine a Recreational Rider from New York City, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Strengths:    Weight (or lack thereof) and winsomeness.

Easy adjustments and reliable and easy-to-use QRS.

Weaknesses:    Mushy feel, all-or-nothing response.

Bottom Line:
    Light and pretty. Not a bad brakeset, but could be better--and certainly a better value. It's the second-weakest link (after the bottmon bracket) of the Dura Ace group.

The Dura Ace 7700's have a rather mushy feel that translates into an "all-or-nothing" response. I've felt this, even after rim cleanings, pad and cable changes, overhauls, etc.

Yes, the front will lock up your rear wheel and the front will pitch you over the bars if you use it alone and too hard. But the same can be said for most brakes.

Besides, I can't remember the last time I needed to come to a dead stop from full speed. You might argue that because I used to race and was a bike messenger in NYC (not on these brakes!), I have better-developed reflexes and skills than most riders. Still, I think that it's more important that a brake can moderate your speed than to stop you on a crack in the sidewalk.

These aren't bad brakes. But I've used better--and certainly gotten better-- for my money. (Examples: the Dura-Ace and Ultegra Dual-Pivot brakes from the 8-speed group.

Favorite Ride:   To the sun, clouds or sea

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Earlier Dura Ace and Ultegra dual-pivots (much better), Campy Record and other single-pivots, road center-pulls (Remember those?)

Bike Setup:   Custom Land Shark 853 with Ouzo Pro fork, Ksyrium wheels, King threadless headset, Look 396 pedals, Ritchey WCS bar and stem, Thomson seat post, the rest DA.

Submitted by chris a Recreational Rider from I rode the bike in Altoona, PA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    Pucker power

Weaknesses:    Price- or bum it off of your uncle. By the way, he got the Lance bike used with only a couple hundred miles for about $1500.

Bottom Line:
    I just rode the on my uncle's Lance Armstrong replica. I tested them on a four mile downhill (after I climbed it of course) at 40+ MPH. All I can say is, it is quite scary nose wheelieing at 42 MPH while trying to enter a gravel strewn corner. YEHAWWWWWWWWW! Don't Skimp on brakes. GET SOME TYPE OF SHIMANO OR CAMPY. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Favorite Ride:   Haleakala Maui

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale-They suck (Cannondale must be french for components crap)

Submitted by Craig a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Strengths:    Power and finish.

Weaknesses:    Modulation, maybe. I haven't tested the Campy Record/Chorus units. Value.

Bottom Line:
    Whoa! After reading the reviews below I thought maybe I had made a bad purchase.
    So, I tested what these guys with bad reviews were saying.

I have a hill where I can hit 42mph at the bottom. I weigh 190lbs. The brakes worked terrific and slowed me very quickly. Perhaps modulation could be better. I had to feather the rear lever a little to keep the rear wheel from locking up.

Another reviewer complained that the pads did not hit the rim squarely. I can say that my calipers are perfectly toed in 1mm. The pads are not supposed to hit the rim parallel or they will squeal.

As for the "stupid light" review, I decided to check check out the calipers on both the D/A and Ultegra. Though I could not just weigh the arms, I found the D/A calipers to be slightly thicker where the pads are bolted on. Thicker is generally stronger.

I am 100 percent pleased. I guess the Ultegra are a better value, but not a better brake. I would also question what people expect from their brakes. They are not disks with anti lock. They have very small contact patches (tire/road and pad/rim). Also, folks should not expect to stop from 40 to zero in twice the time it takes to stop from 20 to zero. They should have paid more attention in physics class.

Similar Products Used:   Old Campy Athena (massive arms).

Bike Setup:   Velocity Razor silver rims.