Shimano Ultegra BR-6600 Brake Calipers

Shimano BR6600 brake caliper designed along the lines of the Dura-Ace 10 Dual Pivot Caliper sytem. The Dual-Pivot brake design is a lightweight, compact and durable braking system. Through advancements in design, tighter tolerances have been created whic

Submitted by tvphobic

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, reliable braking with little fade and gorgeous modulation.

Weaknesses:    This is not a real weakness: These brakes won't impress weight weenies, but brakes aren't really the primary place we plough our money to save weight.

Bottom Line:
I'm a veteran of the road, trained and raced with Suntour, Campagnolo Athena (single pivot, mind you) and all the mid to higher dual pivot stuff.A 5 quality rating and 5 for value? You could guess I'm joking, or on the Shimano payroll. Nope. These brakes are the fruit of a long effort by Shimano to engineer a traditional road rim brake which can compete with the very high bar of performance that new disc brake technology has made. The engineering has paid off, and the Ultegra brakes SLOW the bike as quickly as anything and feel buttery smooth doing it. I've had these seven years, and no brakes I have owned have impressed me more, and I have a lot of bikes, most _not_ primarily Shimano. You'll never know how lucky you are, if you have only been exposed to the current crop of excellent dual-pivot brakes. FYI Centaur, Veloce are excellent as well, but BR-6600 by a nose here.

Submitted by Hvnlooker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent stopping power even for a hefty dude, good feel through 105 levers, light weight

Weaknesses:    Hefty retail price tag makes it tough to support the LBS

Bottom Line:
I was advised to purchase these for their stopping power, and I did so hesitantly, having not tested them on any bike. My LBS owner was spot on. The Ultegra brakes totally stop the bike with ease, and I am a big guy. They feel good in the levers, and I don't feel like I am using every bit of hand strength in order to get them to do their job. If I had to buy them, I might even consider paying full price somewhere.

Favorite Ride:   Tour of West Shelby

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   '07 Schwinn Fastback Elite, 105 shifters/brake levers, Kore Gradient 2 wheelset

Submitted by danielflood80 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    They provide great breaking. You can shed alot of speed fast when you need to, but with really good, linear modulation, you're not in danger of them grabbing the rim suddenly (unless you slam on the brakes suddenly of course). I feel alot more in control of my bike with these. They have a quick release built in, unlike campy brakes which force you to use their shifters, so you could use these brakes on any setup.
If you buy on ebay - CHEAP!

Weaknesses:    In terms of functioning, none whatsoever. There are lighter calipers out there, but I think there are much more cost effective ways to shave off some grams, and safer ways too. Brakes are serious things, your life if in their hands, you don't want to mess with them by makign them too lightweight and fragile.

Bottom Line:
I have been using these for about a month after purchasing them new on ebay, and I think they are fantastic. I have previously only used the sora brakes, and they are completely awful. I don't know what dura-ace or record/chorus brakes are like but these things work incredibly well. I put in kool-stop dry pads because the consensus seems to be that shimano pads suck, so this review is for these brakes with kool-stop pads.

Favorite Ride:   warm and sunny

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   sora

Bike Setup:   omega matrix, ultegra groupset, crappy alex wheels, thomson masterpiece seatpost, modolo kx bars

Submitted by jhglaw a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have a 2004 Ultegra 9 bike and a 2005 Ultergra 10 bike. The 10 brakes are stronger and easier to modulate. The 10 levers are easier to reach from the drops. The 10 hoods are more comfortable. The improvements are not subtle, princess and the tea differences, but are obvious right away.

Bike Setup:   2004 Lemond Zurich/2005 Specialized s-works E5