TekTro Oryx/992A Brake Calipers

The Tektro Oryx 992A Cantilever Brake features Linear springs, 70mm pads, and includes Z-link . Features and Information Linear springs ...

Submitted by Dave J a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2012

Strengths:    1) Price 2) Ease of installation and adjustment 3) Good braking power 4) Uses the readily available and nearly universal V-brake pads.

Weaknesses:    May squeal on some rims. Cantilever brakes might do that with some brake and rim combinations. I don't have a big problem with that on the Giant. But my other bikes do that from time to time. They also have similar _ but not the same brand _ cantilever brakes.

Bottom Line:
I needed some brakes for a Giant FCR3 frame that I got for nearly free. In my case, I'm using road bars on it. So, linear pull brakes are not an option. The Tektro Oryx replaced a set of Shimano Altus post type cantilever brakes that I initially installed. The Altus brakes were dangerously weak, but the Oryx brakes fixed that problem big time. What I did not realize is that the Tektro Oryx brakes are much easier to install than the Shimanos [even though the Shimanos were not difficult to install]. The Tektros have much better stopping power. They are very easy to adjust. The braking "feedback' that you get in the brake lever is really good. Be advised, these Tektros cost a little more than the Shimanos. But the Tektro Oryx performance leaves the Shimano Altus brakes way behind. I would highly recommend these for those looking to put together a commuter/cyclocross bike for cheap. Also, if you have an older touring, cyclocross, or commuter bike with brakes that are mechanically worn out (or just plain inadequate), try these.

Favorite Ride:   Boston, MA area

Purchased At:   Cyclocrossworld

Similar Products Used:   Avid Shorty 4 and Shorty 6 cantilever brakes on my other bikes. Except for some brake squeal, no problems.

Bike Setup:   Giant FCR3 converted to a all out roadbike with the roadbars. The Shimano road brake/shift lever combination is mated to the Tektro brakes and Shimano derailleurs. Now, I have a good makeshift road/cyclocross bike.