TekTro R540 Brake Calipers

• Pads: P422 adjustable angle cartridge pads
  • Dimension: 39-51 mm

Submitted by Charles Jurgensen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight. Sturdy. Toe in angle is adjustable. Quick release is useful if 25 mm or 28 mm tires are used. Barrel adjuster allows fine cable adjustments.

Weaknesses:    Manual is so poorly written that it is impossible to understand how to adjust toe in. From reading reviews it is clear that the angle adjustment is frequently not being performed correctly.

Bottom Line:
These brakes came OEM on my bike and at first they were completely squishy and the toe in came completely miss adjusted. The Tektro manual indicated that toe in is adjustable but is of no help about how to do this.
There is a hemispherical surface on the P422 adjustable angle cartridge pads that allows angle adjustment by how it meets the washer. To adjust toe in, place 0.5 mm shim at back of pad with screw loose and tap lever several times to align pad then hold lever tight while tightening screw. Once the pad angle is properly adjusted these brakes are not squishy at all and stop silently. This toe in adjustment is apparently a huge problem because many reviews mention problems caused by angle errors and some even solve these problems by installing non-adjustable pads.

Favorite Ride:   Trail ridge road.

Submitted by Skippy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, price, stopping power

Weaknesses:    The stock pads are low quality

Bottom Line:
These came as OME on my road bike. At first I thought they were terrible; they felt squishy and had less than adequate stopping power. I was about to shell out $200+ to upgrade to Ultegra brakes when someone suggested replacing the pads. I spent about $8 for Kool Stop salmon pads and the improvement was tremendous. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these calipers and even with the added expense of new pads right up front, they are still way cheaper than comparable brakes from other manufacturers.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105 BR-5700

Submitted by Nathan

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, not much else

Weaknesses:    Lack of power, durability, quick release mech.

Bottom Line:
These brakes came stock on my 2011 Trek Madone 4.5, never would I choose to buy them individually. After about seven months of using the brakes under normal conditions, the bushings in the main brake bolt wore out and caused an incredibly annoying creaking sound to come from the front caliper in the middle of every lever pull. I will soon be upgrading to a set of Ultegra 6700 calipers because I'm simply fed up with the lack of stopping power and the creaking noises. The Ultegra calipers are a little heavier, but I'd much rather save myself on a steep hill than save some weight. I also don't like that the quick release mechanism is all or nothing, I like a notched quick release for easier dialed-in adjustment.

Submitted by billk

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2012

Strengths:    color, weight

Weaknesses:    The brakes seem mushy compared to other ultegra brakes (6500) I've used on my other bike. I have to brake earlier and use a firmer brake application on the brifters in anticipation of a stop. They work fine if you're feathering the brakes to kill a little speed, but the are marginal when needed for a full stop.

Bottom Line:
The 540 brakes (with swissstop pads) came stock on a new 2011 56cm Jamis xenith race, with shimano ultegra 6700 brifters, a bb30 compact crankset, ultegra derailleurs, and cassette. I'm a performance-oriented recreational rider weighing 170 lbs. The bike weighs at 17.5 lbs. Most of the riding I've put the bike through have been mostly flat terrain with limited vertical (200') terrain changes. Average speed I've used the brakes has been up to 25 mph.