TekTro RX6 Brake Calipers

• Pads: 720.12 adjustable cartridge pads
  • Dimension: 20.5-36.5 mm

Submitted by Agnmph a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2012

Strengths:    Braking wet or dry (wt KoolStop salmon road pads; haven't tried the Tektro pads)
Useable with standard road levers -- prob. stronger with long-pull levers, tho'.
Reasonable looks.

Weaknesses:    If you're a gear snob, the label on them says 'Tektro'. Personally, I choose stuff that works for the conditions I need it to work in.
Modulation is v-brakish, but you get used to that.
Pads close to rim.

Bottom Line:
Bought these to replace an underperforming Tektro CR720 canti on the front of my touring bike. The bike is 30 yrs old and the studs are closer than on modern bikes, so that may be a factor. Originally I used MAFAC cantis with Scott Mathauser pads, which I remember working well, tho' it's all relative, and I may have rose colored glasses on about them. When I brought this bike down from the wall to use it again about a year ago, I no longer had the MAFACS so I used the Tektros CR720s with salmon KoolStops: okay braking, nothing great; inadequate in the wet; terrible fork judder (and I've tried every straddle cable trick known to man and woman). Replaced the front one with an RX6 with the same pads and finally I have proper braking, very good in the wet, clears the mudguard and 35mm tyres, no judder, and situates the pads further forward so that they clear the forks when the brake is open so the wheel can come out. Good enough modulation for my purposes (3-400km/week, all weather, all conditions, loaded and unloaded), and IMO it looks clean and modern. I will put one on the back when I find one. The pads run close to the rim, tho', so prob. not a good cyclocross option.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT v-brakes (the parallel link kind, on a tandem, with long pull road levers)
Cane Creek v-brakes (tandem with road levers)
Avid v-brakes (SD3 or SD5, can't remember; tandem, as above)

Bike Setup:   30 year old touring bike with narrow set canti studs.
Mavic A719 rims (a few months old)