TRP R960 Brake Calipers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

TRP R960 Road Brake Set: The R960 starts with cold-forged brake arms that are aggresively machined both horizontally and vertically to eliminate weight but retain all of their strength and stiffness. Then they add features such as machined...

Submitted by John

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2014

Strengths:    Great Stopping power. Look really Cool.

Weaknesses:    Did not work with Continental Grand Prix 4000S2 25mm on a Ridley Fenix AL. Did not clear top of tire. Plenty of clearance with a 23mm tire.

Bottom Line:
I would have rated it a 5 if the 25mm tires would have fit on my application.

Submitted by aa.mclaren

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2014

Strengths:    Very light for dual pivot brakes, great modulation and stopping power

Weaknesses:    Price if paying retail. Get out the q-tips, it's clean-up time.

Bottom Line:
I bought mine used on eBay at a reasonable price, as I was upgrading one bike and building another, so these replaced a pair of Campy Athena dual pivot front / single pivot rear calipers. These are both lighter and more powerful brakes. I like the oversize aesthetic, they almost look strong enough to stop something with a motor. Great control on hilly rides, I can tap the levers that little bit later when adjusting for a fast downhill corner, which certainly adds a bit of confidence to the more technical descents in this neck of the woods. They also weigh about 69 grams less than the Athena brakes. I use these with alloy rims, but this isn't a brake pad review.

Given that I run Campagnolo everything else, the quick release design isn't an issue (I normally use the button at the brake lever anyway). Some people report having issues with fitting 25mm or larger tires with these calipers, but I see loads of clearance in the frame I installed them on. 28mm might be a stretch but it looks possible. If you have a frame with tight clearances in the brake holes, they could indeed rub around the underside.

These were very easy to set up, and the only downside I see is clean-up time. Lots of little nooks and crannies to get the gunk out of. I did consider the Far and Near dual pivot brakes which present a less skeletal design, but couldn't pass up on a good deal for these TRP 960s.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra 1994, Dura Ace 1991, Mavic 451 1991, Campagnolo Record 1995, Campagnolo Athena 1996, Sachs New Success 1991, Campagnolo Athena 2012. Call me a recovering retro grouch.

Bike Setup:   EPX 303 carbon frame ca. 2002, with mostly Campagnolo Chorus 11, Trigon integrated bars, Campagnolo Zonda/Bullet wheels, Aican Bungarus cables, old Look pedals (on the "eventual" replacement list, but that goes for two road bikes!)

Submitted by DrSmile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2013

Strengths:    Reasonably light, no compromise in performance, great corrosion resistance.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clean, the release mechanism isn't intuitive and doesn't work when gunked up. They're way too expensive.

Bottom Line:
These replaced Campagnolo Record brakes on my bike due to corrosion issues. The TRP brakes have almost every bolt made of titianium, which won't corrode. If you don't mind some performance loss, Planet X brakes look as nice or nicer and are half the price.

Submitted by suasponte2/75 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    Braking power, modulation, weight, looks, set-up (pretty simple)

Weaknesses:    Barrel adjuster can be stuck/sticky if bottomed out so make sure you loosen a couple of turns before installing/bolting down, black finish and details (nooks) can be hard to keep clean, pricey if paying retail, replacement parts can be pricey and trp specific ($25/per barrel adjuster!) if want to modify/color match.

Bottom Line:
Got these to replace my SRAM red brakes since I got a good deal on ebay to match my new blacked out build. I was worried after reading a few review about them not being able to accommodate 25mm tires but there was plenty of clearance (probably about the same as the reds). I installed them within minutes, centered them, adjusted the pads (used same swiss stop greens like my old reds) and off I rode; simple as that. No instructions. I mean they are just brakes and pretty simple if you've ever own any of the major brands before, this is no different overall in mechanics.

Test drove them on my typical training route (approx. 25 miles) with a few rollers, a moderate climb and a fast descent. Very light touch needed compared to the reds, dura-ace or ultegras I've owned in the past. Good overall modulation without feeling grabby.

I got the ultimate test this past weekend though. I was moving through town at a moderate pace (19ish) when a truck taking a right hand turn cut me off! I grabbed a handful of brake (rears) while seated and the back tire locked immediately! That's some serious stopping power compared to the reds! I've had close calls before but have never had my brakes able to lock up so quickly while seated with the reds.

I'm pretty much sold on these as a better alternative than the others (except campy since I've never owned/ridden them) and they look pretty bad arse to boot!

Purchased At:   Ebay