TRP R960 Brake Calipers

• Store Price

TRP R960 Road Brake Set: The R960 starts with cold-forged brake arms that are aggresively machined both horizontally and vertically to eliminate weight but retain all of their strength and stiffness. Then they add features such as machined...

Submitted by DrSmile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2013

Strengths:    Reasonably light, no compromise in performance, great corrosion resistance.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clean, the release mechanism isn't intuitive and doesn't work when gunked up. They're way too expensive.

Bottom Line:
These replaced Campagnolo Record brakes on my bike due to corrosion issues. The TRP brakes have almost every bolt made of titianium, which won't corrode. If you don't mind some performance loss, Planet X brakes look as nice or nicer and are half the price.

Submitted by suasponte2/75 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    Braking power, modulation, weight, looks, set-up (pretty simple)

Weaknesses:    Barrel adjuster can be stuck/sticky if bottomed out so make sure you loosen a couple of turns before installing/bolting down, black finish and details (nooks) can be hard to keep clean, pricey if paying retail, replacement parts can be pricey and trp specific ($25/per barrel adjuster!) if want to modify/color match.

Bottom Line:
Got these to replace my SRAM red brakes since I got a good deal on ebay to match my new blacked out build. I was worried after reading a few review about them not being able to accommodate 25mm tires but there was plenty of clearance (probably about the same as the reds). I installed them within minutes, centered them, adjusted the pads (used same swiss stop greens like my old reds) and off I rode; simple as that. No instructions. I mean they are just brakes and pretty simple if you've ever own any of the major brands before, this is no different overall in mechanics.

Test drove them on my typical training route (approx. 25 miles) with a few rollers, a moderate climb and a fast descent. Very light touch needed compared to the reds, dura-ace or ultegras I've owned in the past. Good overall modulation without feeling grabby.

I got the ultimate test this past weekend though. I was moving through town at a moderate pace (19ish) when a truck taking a right hand turn cut me off! I grabbed a handful of brake (rears) while seated and the back tire locked immediately! That's some serious stopping power compared to the reds! I've had close calls before but have never had my brakes able to lock up so quickly while seated with the reds.

I'm pretty much sold on these as a better alternative than the others (except campy since I've never owned/ridden them) and they look pretty bad arse to boot!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Dura-ace, Ultegra
SRAM Red, Rival

Submitted by alancross a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Power, smooth, looks, very lightweight.

Weaknesses:    None I can find

Bottom Line:
These brakes simply work excellently. Smooth, firm, no hassle. I have trouble imagining a better brake. You get a very light caliper without sacrificing any performance.

Favorite Ride:   Beartooth Pass

Purchased At:   online retailer

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra/dura ace

Bike Setup:   BMC TeamMachine STL01
Zipp 404 clincher
SRAM RED

Submitted by pdainsworth a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Strengths:    Power, modulation, looks and set up.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
These brakes kick a$$! They look beautiful (the red anodized on my black Tarmac SL2 looks great) and setup easily. The stopping power is better, in my opinion, than the Force brakes I replaced, and the Dura Ace 7900, on which I've spent some time. Modulation is excellent, as well. The included SwissStop pads are great, too. I strongly recommend these brakes. They are worth every penny.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Crescent Loop

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   Force, Red, Dura Ace, Ultegra, Chorus dual pivot brakes.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac SL2 with Ksyrium SL wheels. Red shifters and rear derailleur. Force front derailleur. Specialized S-Works OSBB carbon crank.

Submitted by singleminded1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Light, good stopping power, easy setup

Weaknesses:    price?, aluminum fixing nuts, calipers could open further to remove the wheel

Bottom Line:
Replacement for Ultegra calipers, which are definitely heavier (dont know how much). No drama during installation. Bolted these on, set the brake pads to the rim, and off I went. No setup problems. I didnt use the aluminum fixing nuts, but stayed with steel ones. Good stopping power, probably due to the Swiss stop pads. Dont feel any flex in the brakes. They have a firm, positive feel, with good stopping power. Havent ridden in the wet yet. The calipers dont open as wide as the Ultegra calpers for removing the wheel, I can get the wheel out or in with a firm tug.

Purchased At:   AEBike.com