Cane Creek SCR-5C Compact Brake Levers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

A lightweight, reliable lever set for riders that prefer not to switch to STI levers. Great for singlespeeds and fixies. compact lever shape is ideal for small hands Sold as a set...

Submitted by Paul W. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2014

Strengths:    Looks good, fairly aerodynamic.

Weaknesses:    Not the buttery-smooth action I was hoping for

Bottom Line:
The action on these is okay, but fair-to-middling. My old Aero Compe levers have them beat in that category. I'll continue to use them, though, just to make my bike look more modern. They are not bad. I just wish there was more glide and less grind when you squeeze. Maybe they'll break in as I use them. I got the silver/gum rubber version.

Favorite Ride:   The ferris wheel

Purchased At:   Cane Creek

Similar Products Used:   Dia Compe Aero Compe

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Technium, Scott LF Lifeflite bars.

Submitted by CircaRigel a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Strengths:    -Great Price
-VERY comfortable
-Comfortable hood riding
-lightweight
-Quick Release

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
No complaints here. They have a very nice, ergonomic fit for my hand, comfortable hoods, nice look, and they work great with my Mavic SSC Dual-Pivot caliper brakes. The quick release is nice to have, especially with Mavic or Campy brakes, which don't have a QR on the brake itself.

Favorite Ride:   Lookout Mountain

Shimano Tourney Megarange rear derailleur
Mavic SSC dual-pivot caliper brakes

Submitted by huboon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    simple design, light, comfortable

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I ditched my Shimano STIs for bar-end shifters and SCR-5 brake levers. These levers resemble Campy Ergo right down to the brake release button. They are simple, light, comfortable and cheap. There's really not much that can go wrong.

Favorite Ride:   road, dirt, gravel or mud

Purchased At:   aebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano STIs

Bike Setup:   Cannondale cyclocross w/ Dura-Ace bar-end shifters

Submitted by addict42 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    inexpensive, tough, lever quick release.

Weaknesses:    just a set of tektro levers with different graphics and hood rubber (and a higher price).

Bottom Line:
I put these on my cross bike for use with bar end shifters. I have found them to be very comfortable (way better than the shimano levers they replaced). The lever quick release makes wheel changes a snap with big cross tires and cantilevers as well.

Favorite Ride:   I'll take anything I can get

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   tektro r200a

Bike Setup:   redline conquest pro, dura-ace barend shifters, br550 cantilevers, scr5c levers :)

Submitted by danielflood80 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2007

Strengths:    Very, very cheap (compared to SIS/Ergopower/doubletap). Very, very comfortable. Perfect for tourer with bar end shifters.

Weaknesses:    No gear changing mechanism, but that costs an extra $400.

The only flaw, is that to tighten the levers to the bars, you have to disconnect the brake cable, which annoying.

Bottom Line:
I use these in combination with bar end shifters on my trainer/commuter.

These brake levers seem to have exactly the same shape and size as Campy ergo shifters, without the shifter of course. I've found them very comfy, as with Campy shifters they give a flat extension of the bars, unlike Shimano which have a dip.

Like Campy shifters they have a quick release for the brakes built in, so are compatible with Campy brakes. Or, if you use them with brakes that have a quick release, you can get a really big clearance which is handy if you have a spoke snap.

They have quite a strong return spring in them, which can be very strange at first if you're used to Shimano, although now I find myself wishing my Shimano SIS shifters also had a return spring, they reall are a good idea.

Favorite Ride:   something sunny