Kool Stop International Dura Type Brake Pads

4.94/5 (17 Reviews)

Ceramic rims are great at dissipating heat but they're murder on brake pads. Under a microscope, the ceramic surface looks like a dried creek bed. It can eat brake pads like they were a snack. The new Z-Chromium Compound puts your ceramic rims on a starvation diet. Not only does it last much longer, it has better stopping power.

Submitted by dragonrider a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic attenuation and fantastic stopping power. No rim dust either.

Bottom Line:
Changed these from standard shimano, very easy to install.

Purchased At:   Online shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano crap

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Advanced1, full Ultegra SL, FSA carbon compact h'bar, mavic ksyrium elite, Michelin Krylion

Submitted by Argentius a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Strengths:    Koolstop pads are quieter and smoother under braking power than other pads, and their "salmon" wet-weather pads are a godsend in the rainy Pacific northwest.

Weaknesses:    It's too simple of a product to have many -- it just works.

Bottom Line:
Yeah, so I'm a little surprised how much love I have for a brake pad. I mean, what, it's a little piece of rubber that grabs your rim, right? But, wow, what a differene. I've used the stock pads from all of the others, and Koolstop blows them all away. Feeling safe and secure in my brakes is of prime importance to me, whether in a race or in a twisty mountain descent in the rain.

Favorite Ride:   Uphill!

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo Record, Shimano Dura-Ace, and SRAM Force pads. I would point out I've never tried Swisstop pads, which are also supposed to rock. They are also a lot more expensive...

Bike Setup:   Race Bike Du Jour

Submitted by aml a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    Stopping power, rim friendly

Bottom Line:
Used the dual compound Black/Salmon Koolstop Pads and the Salmon pads on my Giant TCR Comp 2 and now installed them on my Serotta Nove from day one. I noticed right away the great stopping power of these pads and there ease to be modulated. The great thing about these pads "They will not eat up your rims". I will never use anything but Koolstop pads. As stated in previous reviews replace your Shimano pads imediately. !!!Make this your first upgrade!!!

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Bustukah

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant TCR Comp 2 Full Ultegra 9, with Mavic SL SSC wheels

2007 Serotta Nove (Custom) full Ultegra 10, with Toplino CX2.0 wheels

Submitted by lebikerboy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    Work (stop) better than Shimano, Quieter than Shimano, less expensive than Shimano etc.

Weaknesses:    What weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
I used to hold back on long fast descents because my Ultegra 6600 brakes just couldn't bring my 225 lb. frame to a stop in a timely fashion. Not the case with the Kool Stops, I now go as fast as I want knowing I'll be able to stop in time.

Purchased At:   western bike works

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Ultegra pads

Bike Setup:   Klein Quantum with Ultegra 6600 Group

Submitted by danielflood80 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    Steady modulation (compared to stock pads), great stopping power when you need it, fairly steady predictable braking. I've only locked up the wheels once by braking too hard, but this was my fault (panicked and still in the Sora habit of slamming on the brakes), but even this felt fairly steady and was easily recovered.

Weaknesses:    Not really a weakness, but with the increased stopping power I had to be very careful not to lock up the wheels by braking too hard. Although you'd have to really slam on the brakes to do this.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the black pads. My OCR3 came with the Sora group, which is generally not very good, although if you are just getting into cycling it's hard to justify pricier groups. I had always considered the brake calipers awful. I live in Canberra where it's very hilly, and would always have to ride down steep descents braking almost the entire way down, as the brakes simply couldn't slow me down fast enough to enter a corner at a safe speed. I had planned to upgrade my calipers, but before I did tried these Kool Stop pads, and they made such a difference, I no longer see the point in upgrading the calipers. I filed these pads down a little to brake them in, and adjusted them carefully, and the results are amazing. I have so much more confidence in the brakes ability to slow down quickly, it's really changed the way I ride. These are so cheap, and so infinitely better than the Shimano products (albeit lower end - maybe Ultegra/DA pads are better?), I don't know why Shimano doesn't just give up making it's own pads and outsource the task to Kool Stop, their groupsets would be much better as a result.

Anyone who feels their calipers aren't adequate and needs to upgrade - try these before you do.

Favorite Ride:   Somewhere in the Brindabellas

Purchased At:   ebay - where else?