Shimano R55C3 Inserts Brake Pads

Replacement brake shoe set for Shimano Ultegra road brakes. Road compound optimized for wet and dry conditions. Pad and shoe are included in the set. 1 pair....

Submitted by klmmicro a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    Perfect dry weather performance. Not squeaky or noisy provided proper adjustment. Great wet weather performance. They seem to wear very well.

Weaknesses:    They appear to be messy on the machined portion of my rim. They do not appear to be wearing quickly, but they do leave some material behind.

Bottom Line:
I bought these pads as replacements for use in my BR-6700 calipers. In the past, I have used Koolstop salmon pads and green Swissstop. Both of these options have always been preferable to the older Shimano OEM pads during my time cycling. Shimano pads of the past have never worked well for me in the wet and always seemed to wear very quickly. All that is now changed.

The latest generation of OEM pads are excellent. Since installing them, I have found nothing that would shake my confidence in their stopping power. I live in southern California which is almost always dry, except for rare occasions. I finally got to test these pads in the rain...I could not feel any real difference in wet to dry performance! The entire reason I originally decided to use the Koolstop pads was wet performance. This is no longer necessary.

At this point, my opinion is that Shimano has produced a pad finally rivaling the more expensive options that have been the staple of serious cyclists for years.

Favorite Ride:   North County coastal

Similar Products Used:   Koolstop salmon pads. Swissstop Greens. Shimano 6000 series OEM pads.

Bike Setup:   2011 Felt Z85, with stock 105 shifters and derailleurs. BR-6700 brakes. Ritchey MTB pedals. Custom handbuilt wheelset with 6700 hub and 11-28 cassette. Continental Ultra Race tires.