Performance Sunlasses Eyewear

Performance Sunlasses

Submitted by Mr. Versatile a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    They fit well, they look good, they're inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Lenses are difficult to change, foam rubber lens gasket is falling off after 6 days of use.

Bottom Line:
I've had these for exactly one week, and they're going back tomorrow. I was hoping these would solve my problem, but they didn't.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Oakleys, Serfas, Tifosi, Nashbar Ares

Bike Setup:   2 wheels, handlebars, seat, tires

Submitted by Damon64 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    Allows great peripheral vision
Inexpensive
Multiple lenses

Weaknesses:    Seems fragile

Bottom Line:
After reading about these, I decided to try 'em out. They fit great and offer way better peripheral vision. I had another cheap pair of glasses with frames that blocked out my view to the side. These are inexpensive enough that I wouldn't shed a tear if I broke or lost 'em.

Favorite Ride:   Brown's Point loop

Purchased At:   Performance Tacoma

Similar Products Used:   Cheap dept. store shades

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 5.2
Trek 1500

Submitted by Geddy5 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Strengths:    Fairly priced (though probably like all sun glasses they consist of about $.50 of material)Good lenses, smoked lense is just right for bright sunlight, and the yellows are really immpressive in low light.

Weaknesses:    Changing lenses is kinda tricky. Be careful and pay attention when doing this as it seems that they may break.

Bottom Line:
I HATE spending ridiculous amounts of money on sun glasses - after all, they're just plastic! However, the pair of $15 Kmart shades that I was using distorted so badly that I had to get something else. I went to the Performance store here in Tacoma and tried on about 6 pairs before finally deciding on the Quattro's. They came with four sets of lenses and were fairly inexpensive; they don't distort in the least (in fact they are really clear); the yellow lenses are really good in fading light; they stay on my face even when riding 50 miles in 85 degree heat. The only problem with them is changing the lenses - it takes a little bit more force than I am comfortable with to get them in and out. I'm affraid that I will break them.
Over all, I would recommend them.

Favorite Ride:   Orting hwy/rials to trails

Purchased At:   Performance/Tacoma

Similar Products Used:   Cheap dime store.

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale R900; Campy Veloce.

Submitted by datunney a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Multiple lenses, relatively inexpensive

Weaknesses:    They FOG! I ride/commute on my road bike in all kinds of weather and wanted multi-lense glasses. Even though they have breather holes along the top edge, they FOG whenever the humidity is high and I stop or go slow climbing, etc in both cold and warm weather, really bad in cold weather. Did I mention they FOG!

Bottom Line:
Perf Quattro sunglasses, 4 lenses, carrying case, etc

Purchased At:   Performance on line

Submitted by JimboTero a Racer from Osaka Japan (frm U.S.A.)

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Price and looks. Good vision riding in the drops.

Weaknesses:    1 piece lense cracks down the middle in a matter of weeks ! Removable (WHY??) nosepiece. No case. These glasses are junk and though cheap and marginally functional, not worth it when you can pay a bit more for a slightly higher level Perfomance product without these serious weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I bought Performance Flight ( called Tifosi's in '01.) I always make a tradition of somehow breaking my sunglasses, usually by sitting on them, about once a year & wanted an "expendable" pair. Good looking with interchangable lenses but the lense is 1 piece and soon cracked down the middle from the flex of removing and putting on the glasses, especially with one hand to wipe my brow during a ride.( I did NOT sit on them !) Perhaps my head is too wide, but I wear a 7 1/4 hat size so it's not unusually so. The rubber nose piece can be a major annoyace by dropping off - especially when sweaty (always). Can be solved by glueing it on. Why didn't Performance do that in the factory ??

Favorite Ride:   Mino climb