Rudy Project Project Rydon Eyewear

4.5/5 (14 Reviews)

Unifying seamlessly advanced design technology and materials science, the Rydon™ blends cutting edge ergonomic features with advanced materials (carbon, aluminum, magnesium, silcium and titanium) to create a super lightweight, versatile, high performance sunglass. Rydon has been uniquely engineered with a carbonium frame and revolutionary aerospatial aluminum alloy (Kynetium™) temples which combine magnesium, silcium and titanium to create an unbelievably lightweight, durable and flexable sunglass. Weight .88oz

Submitted by dmcrane a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Photochromic works well. good optical quality. quick shipping. good customer service. lens options. good fit for larger faces.

Weaknesses:    cost-not too bad though[Oakley] - gave 5 for value since they knocked a few bucks off and gave me a hat. case is a little weird but does the job.

Bottom Line:
I have the photochromic nonpolarized grey Rydon. They fit well for people with larger faces. Oakley half jackets were way too small. I like to go out early in the morning and wanted a pair of sunglasses that would get darker as the sun comes up. These work so well I don't notice that it has gotten brighter until I take them off. They remain fog free as long as I don't stop and breathe hard - eg taking a break at the top of a big hill on a humid day. They unfog/clear immediately upon moving again or just taking them off and waving them around briefly. They sit high enough on my face so I can see clearly on my bike. I asked their customer service to recommend a pair and was told to get these. My price match request was followed by a phone call shortly after. Authorized my price match and offered a free hat too[halfway decent hat too]. Order processed very quickly. I would definitely buy these again.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere I won't get run over

Purchased At:   direct from Rudy

Similar Products Used:   Oakley half jackets

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix elite

Submitted by Barry a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    Styling, clear vision, interchangeable lenses, great customer service, adjustable, hydrophobic, comfortable, wide variety of lens choices

Weaknesses:    None, if you want crappy glasses, buy oakleys or just spend less money

Bottom Line:
The glasses rock! I got the ones with the polarized and photochromatic lenses. They were a bit spendy, but these are the best glasses that I've ever used. They lighten up when it's dark outside, darken up in the sun, and the polarized coating on them makes every single detail sharp and viewable. I can see individual pebbles on the road as I'm flying by them, no joke. And to all of you people complaining about the price of these, have you seen/work oakleys? These Rudys are the same price, and are twice the glasses. Oh, and sweat really does run right off of these, but you can ruin the hydrophobic lenses by cleaning them with chemicals, that's usually how people get hydrophobic lenses to not perform anymore.

Favorite Ride:   The one I just finished

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M frame, Oakley half jacket, Rudy Project ekynox

Bike Setup:   Redline Conquest Pro, Time ATAC carbon pedals, 32c slicks

Submitted by guaps a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    Super light, very clear, great fit.

Weaknesses:    Not good in the rain. Very expensive

Bottom Line:
I bought these frames and the red photocromatic lens.

Frames - The frames are outstanding. They are almost infinitely adjustable as both the nose pieces and the arms can be bent to fit your head/face. They are also super light and stay put even when I'm sweating from a hard ride.

Lens - The lenses are very expensive, but also outstanding. I really like the photocromatic lens. I can put it on in the morning when it's foggy and as the sun comes out, the lens gets darker and I don't even notice. The transition is a bit slow (about 15-20 seconds?), so it doesn't work so well when going into a dark tunnel or very shady, tree covered road. That is partially due to my eyes not being used to the dark also. I've never had problems with fogging. One problem I've had is rain though. The water doesn't run off at all in the rain, as was mentioned by one other reviewer. I've been pretty rough with these glasses and have no scratches at all. Their waranty is very good for their lenses if they do get a scratch.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Uvex, cheap stuff I've found in the drug store

Bike Setup:   Lapierre 990

Submitted by thx247 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustable nose and arms. You can pretty much bend the glasses to fit your face however you like. They are quite comfortable once you get them adjusted. Since the arms are adjustable, you can adjust them so that they will almost never pop out of your helmet when you store them on the bike.

The red lenses are good for 95% of my needs. They are not so dark that I cannot see indoors or in shadows or tunnels. They soften the bright light enough that my eyes don't feel strained even when I am outdoors all day.

The lenses are easy enough to switch out, and the glasses bag cleans the lenses up very well. I wouldn't use anything else to clean the lenses actually.

They lenses don't seem to distort anything substantially. I'm not using these lenses for shooting so my criteria is low.

The UV protection of the lenses is great. Putting the glasses on when I'm outdoors is like putting in ice cold eye drops. It feels great. I typically wear them until the sun is down just because it turns the "volume down" on my eyes when I'm outdoors.

Weaknesses:    Scratched a lense in the first week I had them. I have no idea how, I was taking extra care not to scratch them. Other than that scratch, no other issues.

I'm not fond of the storage case. Its a bit oddly shaped, and difficult to close quickly with the glasses inside. It feels just a tad undersized. I highly doubt it is water proof as well. I have not tested that though.

In fog or rain the lenses fog up once you've stopped riding. If you store the glasses on your helmet when it is cold out they also fog quickly.

Water does not roll off the lense like Rudy advertises. It tends to stay on the lenses but can be shaken off.

Bottom Line:
I've been using these glasses for 3 or 4 months now.

I road race weekly, and train during the rest of the week. Maybe 10-15 hours on the bike each week.

The glasses came with two lenses. Racing Red and Blue.

I'm rating these at a 3 value since they are quite expensive for glasses that basically meet your needs, but fail in some critical areas (lenses scratching and fogging)

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   Various shooting and safety glasses.

Uvex $8 dollar safety glasses with a anti-fog coating- Best clear glasses I've ever used in the rain.

Submitted by jjwumaster a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2007

Strengths:    100% effective at shielding eyes from sun
Great-fitting frame
Extremely durable
Shatter-proof lenses
Lens buy-back guarantee! (see website)

Weaknesses:    Not 100% effective in blocking the wind from your eyes - I wear contacts and sometimes they shift out of place with the Rydons

Bottom Line:
Great set of lenses, either for racing, training, or touring. I have a medium profile face I guess, so it covered my eyes quite well (although it makes for some very obvious raccoon tans). I have the racing red and laser blue lenses, which are perfect for partly sunny / cloudy and very sunny days respectively. Also, the sunglasses work extremely well for any watersports, even though the lenses are not polarized.

I noticed generally that in descents the shape of the lenses create some turbulence around the edges, which may be a problem for some. Because they don't wrap around as perfectly as goggles, there is some wind turbulence. The lenses are basically unshatterable though, and protect your eyes in the event of a crash or common road debris.

Finally, the Rydons are fully adjustable, with rubberized temples and noseguards so you can fit the frame perfectly to your face. I've never had a pair of sunglasses fit better.

Favorite Ride:   Any long climb