Smith Slider Toaster Eyewear

Smith Slider Toaster

Submitted by giolee88 a Racer

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Strengths:    Great fit on smaller faces.
Interchangeable lenses.
Versatile.
Looks hip at a club or lounge.
Metal hinge lasts a long time.
Comes with a nice holder.
Light weight will not budge no matter how fast you needed to snap your head.
Nylon stands up to bending better than metal.

Weaknesses:    Nylon will never be as "hip" as metal frames IMHO. But darn they're functional!

Bottom Line:
These rock. They even have polarized lens replacements now. They fit my (small-ish) face and high cheekbones (think zoolander) *perfectly* and I get lots of "cool shades" comments...particularly clubbing with the yellow lenses in.

Designed sturdier than Oakley Half Jackets IMHO, with the lenses slipping in from above rather than from below.

I would expect that it would stand about the same abuse on the arms as other nylon frames, but I have not had problems with loose arms in the 2 yrs that I've used them; they do have a fairly sturdy 5-hoop metal hinge cemented to the nylon arms and frame which maybe helps.

For Athletics, they are great for cycling, and anything with speeds up to 30-40 mph. If you try to look hip on a motorcycle though, be prepared for some wind whipping in around the sides; you will end up tearing a bit. And they are *light* which might turn some ppl off compared to an Oakley Penny, but for *real* athletics, with lots of sweating, and long durations...the light weight is *really* appreciated. And the fact that Nylon is flexible makes it a longer lasting pair of shades for standing up to the bumps and crunches of athletics.

I just lost mine this past winter, skiing. Now, after getting the bonus check, I'm ready to spring for the best and most expensive set of shades I can get my hands on. But after trying other things on, and doing the homework, I'm shelling out for another pair of toasters...this time with the Polarized lenses too. They are simply top notch.

Purchased At:   Sunglass Hut $50afte

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Half Jackets, Oakley Half Wires, Oakley Pennies, Anarchy stilletos,

Bike Setup:   a 990cc BMW R100GS with a half-helmet....or occasionally a Raleigh 600 aluminum road bike, or a Fuji Single diamond dually.

Submitted by Sue Seyboldt a Racer from Roebling, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Strengths:    Small size. Light frame. Interchangeable lenses. Other lenses also available for purchase.

Weaknesses:    Can easily be too small for many people.

Bottom Line:
A great pair of performance glasses for those of us with small faces. The interchangeable lenses are one of the best features. I bought them for bicycling, but have used them for snowboarding and beach volleyball as well. The yellow lenses are fantastic in low light conditions - I'm often surprised how dark it really is when I take them off. The amber lenses are great for all but the darkest or brightest days. I bought a set of clear lenses for night riding.

Purchased At:   athleta

Submitted by bedwards1000 a Weekend Warrior from Raymond, ME

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Weaknesses:    Too Small

Bottom Line:
These glasses were way too small for me and I had to send them back. My eyeballs brushed against the bottom frame because they sit so high.

Favorite Ride:   Any Nice Single Track

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Set up on a stand with a broken chain right now.