Home | Reviews | Gloves | Giro

Giro Monaco Gloves

3.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Giro Monaco Cycling Glove is designed for the all day randonneur. One of the highest-performing gloves in the Giro lineup, the Monaco can perform with you during your most glorious moments.

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Excellent padding and Velcro closure.

Weaknesses:    Fell apart in 2 months. Seriously, 2 months of riding 3 days a week and they fell completely apart. When it got here in Florida the gloves got wet with sweat and the leather disintegrated.

Bottom Line:
Fit well, excellent padding. Extremely short life. I would expect this glove to last much longer for what they cost.

Submitted by jkretsch a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Strengths:    Finger "pockets" ease removal
Excellent fit
Good padding
Low profile velcro closure

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have tried ALOT of gloves over the years trying to find the "perfect" glove and the Giro Monaco is as close as I've found so far. My absolute favorite feature is the finger "pockets" that allow you to pull the gloves straight off. A few other glove manufacturers offer a similar feature but this is the only one I've tried that actually works! Brilliant! The padding is well placed and the perfect thickness. Unlike most gloves that have a wide velcro strap, the Monaco gloves have a smaller, low-profile closure that is unobtrusive and works nicely. My gloves are black and grey and I haven't had any issues with the dye bleeding through.

Submitted by velops a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    The gloves are great in fall and spring, when you don't sweat. The padding is the best of any gloves I have had.

Weaknesses:    As others have said, the dye in the black gloves bleeds unendingly. Mine are a year old and they still bleed and bleed and bleed both while being hand washed and while riding whenever it is 70 degrees or above (whenever I really sweat).

Bottom Line:
How can you make cycling gloves with a dye that adheres better to your hands than it does to the gloves? I agree with the reviewer who said these gloves are absurd. It is unimaginable to me that Giro didn't test the gloves or allowed gloves to go out that can't be worn in any reasonable fashion during much of the cycling season. There have to be leather dyes that don't bleed incessantly. Why didn't they use one? I can't fathom Giro's ineptness in making these gloves. If these gloves had a normal dye, I would love them (although the fit is quite small; mine are extra large, and they are a struggle to get on after washing, and I'm a fit 170 pounds with relatively normal sized hands). Still, I love riding them (during the slender time when I can).

Submitted by Steve@hillclimb

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortable gloves. The fit is tight, but the padding is excellent and the leather has lasted well so far.

Weaknesses:    The black dye bleeds in hot weather. I sweat a lot, and my hands are dyed black after every long ride in weather above 70 degrees. When I hand wash the gloves, the bowl fills with black dyed, and keeps doing so, wash after wash.

Bottom Line:
How can you make a glove for cycling that doesn't have dye that doesn't bleed when wet. The gloves are great, but who wants black hands? Maybe other colors don't bleed in the same way, but the black gloves are useless for me from May to September unless I'm willing to tolerate hands that look as if I have gangrene (and the dye is very difficult to get off of one's hands; it sticks to my hands much better than it sticks to the gloves). Absurd, especially for an otherwise excellent product.

Submitted by szaki a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    very comfortable

Weaknesses:    terrible build quality (maybe my pair is the first from Vietnam)

Bottom Line:
Dispite the reviews here, my pair isn't well made. Shameful build quality - this was my (also my girlfriend's) first impression when opened the bag. None of the threads are sewed up. The leather looks like used.
These gloves are very comfortable, no palm numbness and overheating. The wiping surface is very soft but small. Be careful, the mesh fabric on the back is "reacting" with the velcro.

Purchased At:   gift