Home | Reviews | Helmets | Giro

Giro Pneumo Helmets

4.61/5 (67 Reviews)

• Store Price

Can you see through your helmet? If not, it's time to look at Lance Armstrong's newest Giro, the PneumoTM. 19 air-powered vents work as a system with internal channels to move huge amounts of air up, over, and around your head. That's Wind TunnelTM ventilation. Upper and lower in-mold shells reinforce the lightweight design. The new, mega-adjustable Roc Loc 4 and Coolmax® pads keep everything in place. Last, but not least, a special POV visor protects your vision or stores easily in a jersey pocket.

Submitted by Michael a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Fairly comfortable
well ventilated
light enough for me

Weaknesses:    durability of pads and rock-lock

Bottom Line:
This helmet was fine, but I wish it was more durable. The pads and rock-lock (thing that holds on to the back of your skull) disintegrated and started cutting into my skin after a couple years. I know, they say you're supposed to replace it after a couple years anyway, but I'm too stingy to replace a helmet with no cracks and no crashes.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed classic

Submitted by wonderwall16 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    I slammed my head into the pavement and got up with terrible cuts and bruises galore but absolutely no head damage

Weaknesses:    The helmet broke on impact but I don't begrudge them that.

Bottom Line:
Growing up, my father's motto about a wide array of things was that he'd "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." Upon reaching adulthood, that same philosophy has influenced countless decisions I've made, one of which was wearing the Giro Pneumo helmet while heading home after work yesterday. I wiped out going full speed and I would be dead if it weren't for the helmet. That's about as simply as I can put it.

Favorite Ride:   Downtown Charleston to Sullivan's Isle

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Submitted by CircaRigel a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2009

Strengths:    great ventillation
custom adjustments
lightweight
stylish design
does its job, i.e. saved my life

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
This helmet my life today. I hit a patch of sand in the road coming off Lookout Mountain, and crashed at high speed, hitting my head hard on the pavement. I came away with a concussion, but my helmet was destroyed. It did its job. From the looks of it, I would likely have been killed or have had severe traumatic brain injury had I not been wearing it.

Aside from that, this helmet is comfortable, cool (airy), and lightweight. The Roc Lock adjustment ensures a snug fit.

I've used this helmet for ~4 months

Shimano Tourney Megarange rear derailleur
Mavic SSC dual-pivot caliper brakes

Submitted by Harold Mitnick a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2009

Strengths:    It is fashionable, light, well ventilated and strong. I am only able to write this because of the Pneumo helmet.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
I have had the Giro Pneumo helmet for several years. I have always liked it. Now I love it. 10 days ago, I had a major accident on my bike. My pelvis was broken in three places, my right femur was broken, as were 4 ribs, and my Pneumo helmet. It will be weeks yet until I can walk or ride, but I am able to type and I am working from home. Thanks to my Pneumo helmet. Shopping for a new one now,

Purchased At:   Chainwheel Drive

Similar Products Used:   Trek something or other helmet

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Vigorelli, Shimano Wheels, Ultegra Groupo, Sele Italia SLK saddle, Look Keo peddles.

Submitted by GLBorchert a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Well vented. Light. Attractive.

Weaknesses:    Retention/Fit system pretty much stinks. Not sure it's safe if it doesn't snugly fit your head.

Bottom Line:
Everyone seems to be in love with Giro helmets. You see them everywhere, and they're clearly the dominant brand. Though I think they're OK, in my experience this Giro Pneumo is average quality at best. The RokLock system, or whatever they call it, is basically a joke. The retention snaps broke within days, so I ended up using some superglue on them. Decent helmet in terms of venting, looks and light weight. The fit/retention system is sort of a joke. I don't know if the Ionos is any better, but based on my experience with this Giro I'm looking elsewhere for my next helmet.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Various Bell and Specialized. Recently purchased a Garneau Diamond to replace this Pneumo.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix carbon, Dura Ace, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR wheelset.

Looking for a deal on a Pneumo or Atmos helmet.

I went down on my ride this morning. The bike is okay, but my helmet did it's job. I could hear and feel it compress as my head hit the ground. It's time for a replacement. I emailed Giro to see if they had any discounts or crash replacement assistance, but I'm not expecting a positive response. ... Read More »

Giro Atmos vs. Pneumo

Anybody out there switched from the Pneumo to the Atmos? What are your impressions? I find that my forehead gets hot in the Pneumo. Does the Atmos do a better job of airflow? Good deal on them at Performance this weekend--$139 + double team points. Is it worth the upgrade?Read More »

Giro Pneumo

The wicking fabric on my helmet pads is coming loose. Anyone know where to get replacements? Went to Giro website but it didn't seem to be much help.Read More »

Giro Pneumo vs Giro Atmos - Is the Atmos Better??

I've been looking at getting a new helmet, comparing the Giro Atmos to the Giro Pneumo. It seems like the Atmos should be somehow better, but I cannot really tell. Does anyone have reasons why the Atmos is worth the extra money, why the Atmos is better? Did anyone pick the Atmos over the Pneum ... Read More »

Good price on Giro Atmos or Pneumo anywhere?

Anyone know of a good price on a Giro Atmos or Giro Pneumo anywhere? Last years colors, or whatever... Im not that picky. :-)Read More »