Specialized S-Works Prevail Helmets

Specialized's S-Works Prevail helmet could just be the perfect combo of low weight and maximum ventilation for climbing and superb protection for...

Submitted by G Howes

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2014

Strengths:    Fits well, looks good, good airflow.

Weaknesses:    The mindset adjustment system is nice until it snaps. Mine snapped while I was tightening the helmet. However, it's possible to buy a replacement part only if you live in the US. If you're not a US resident you can't even get it shipped to a friend and have it forwarded to wherever you live in the world because they only accept US-issued credit cards. They don't even accept PayPal accounts with a non-US billing address.

Bottom Line:
Until recently I've loved this helmet, but my problems leave me wondering two things:
1) How safe is a helmet where there are numerous cases recorded on blogs and Specialized's own website of the adjustment system breaking? What if it breaks while you're wearing it? Would your head be properly protected?
2) Should you really have to BUY a replacement part when it appears to be a design flaw where weight considerations have taken precedence over durability and safety? Shouldn't a company with a modicum of customer service provide free replacements for defective parts?

Submitted by dekindy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2014

Strengths:    Ventilation, ease of use, comfort, ventilation

Weaknesses:    Straps do vibrate occasionally

Bottom Line:
Bell Sweep, then Giro Ionos, then the Specialized Prevail gave successively dramatically better ventilation but the Prevail especially is a game changer. Keeping me cool enough to enjoy rides that previously would have been miserable hot. Tighten the chin strap and adjust the retention system height and you are done. Fits perfectly every time without an afterthought. Dual chin strap retention devices means the adjustment will not slip and no side strap adjustments that are constantly needing attention and bothersome on the face. Initially thought that would be a negative but once you try it on you wonder why helmets ever needed them because on the Prevail there is no need. Fortunate enough to find a Catlike Mixino to try on and probably fiddled with adjusting the side straps for 15-20 minutes and could still not get it right. With the Specialized you just put it on and go. A game changer in helmet design as far as I am concerned. Really allowing me to Prevail(pun intended) in really hot weather conditions.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Motion Cycling-Fishe

Similar Products Used:   Older Trek that was extremely comfortable but not well enough ventilated. Bell Sweep that medium was too small and large was too big but better ventilated, and Giro Ionos that was better ventilated than previous helmets but not even as close to comfortable as the Prevail.

Bike Setup:   Serotta Legend

Submitted by Amdogwalker

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Looks nice, light

Weaknesses:    Strat adjustability, straps

Bottom Line:
This helmet looks great and cools well, the ratcheting system at the back is excellent. But part of the secret to delivering the light weight is super light straps without the adjustability of most other helmets. Those straps also sit further away from your face than many other helmets and that space seems to allow air to move all around them at moderate speeds and above. They vibrate like crazy. I like the helme but i probably wont get another one unless they enhance the adustsbility and do something about the strap vibration

Submitted by Danny Mac

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfort, strap system, airflow, looks good

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
For those who have reported a buzzing noise from the straps I experienced this today but only when I didn't have my glasses on due to fog. Once I put them on over the straps of course how glasses should be worn the buzzing stopped instantly and we raced along at about 45kmph no problems. Great helmet, I have forever replaced my old Rudy Project.

Submitted by jabbahop a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Cooling, weight and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Its big and not sure I like the boxy style.

Bottom Line:
I changed from a Giro helmet that I liked to the Prevail and it is much better. I have long suffered from sweat dripping in my eyes so have been wearing the Halo sweat bands to reduce it. The Prevail cools so much better that I have no problem even without a headband. I also really like the design and fabric for the retention straps. Both the Giro and Bell straps would sometimes rub my ears - these ones seem invisible. Very impressed with this helmet.