Specialized S-Works Prevail Helmets

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Specialized's S-Works Prevail helmet could just be the perfect combo of low weight and maximum ventilation for climbing and superb protection for...

Submitted by Amdogwalker

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Looks nice, light

Weaknesses:    Strat adjustability, straps

Bottom Line:
This helmet looks great and cools well, the ratcheting system at the back is excellent. But part of the secret to delivering the light weight is super light straps without the adjustability of most other helmets. Those straps also sit further away from your face than many other helmets and that space seems to allow air to move all around them at moderate speeds and above. They vibrate like crazy. I like the helme but i probably wont get another one unless they enhance the adustsbility and do something about the strap vibration

Submitted by Danny Mac

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfort, strap system, airflow, looks good

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
For those who have reported a buzzing noise from the straps I experienced this today but only when I didn't have my glasses on due to fog. Once I put them on over the straps of course how glasses should be worn the buzzing stopped instantly and we raced along at about 45kmph no problems. Great helmet, I have forever replaced my old Rudy Project.

Submitted by jabbahop a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Cooling, weight and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Its big and not sure I like the boxy style.

Bottom Line:
I changed from a Giro helmet that I liked to the Prevail and it is much better. I have long suffered from sweat dripping in my eyes so have been wearing the Halo sweat bands to reduce it. The Prevail cools so much better that I have no problem even without a headband. I also really like the design and fabric for the retention straps. Both the Giro and Bell straps would sometimes rub my ears - these ones seem invisible. Very impressed with this helmet.

Similar Products Used:   Giro Atmos and Head Sweep R

Submitted by MGS9500

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Strengths:    Cooling, weight, style, comfort

Weaknesses:    I don't like the color options.

Bottom Line:
A significant upgrade from my previous helmets. I have used Giro Atmos, Bell Volt and Lazer helium. This helmet is lighter, cooler, and fits like a dream. I am a heavy forehead sweater and use a sweat gutr. This helmet has tremendous forehead cooling and large vent holes.

At first I was concerned that the side straps might be an annoyance, but there are comfortable and I have no noted any noise from the straps.

The style is different from all other helmets. A little wider and more flat on the top. I like it. Less like a giant egg on your head and somewhat more like a hockey helmet.

I'm sold on this helmet.

Submitted by pasta-lumbago a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Looks cool. Light! Head circumference tightening works beautifully. Great adjustability.

Weaknesses:    The thin straps vibrate to a buzzing frequency at speeds of approx 20 mph, with no apparent fix.
Customer support stinks: included manual has no specific instructions for the Prevail helmet, forcing a call to Specialized customer service where I was told that the helmet is completely intuitive and instructions aren't needed.

Bottom Line:
I just did my first ride with this Prevail helmet today (about 30 miles) in 50+ degree weather (January, in Iowa). I was wearing a skull cap and an ear-warmer headband. The helmet was easy to put on and adjust, and is noticeably light! Very windy day, and the strap on the left side vibrated so vigorously it made a buzzing noise (at 18+ mph). I saw another review that had the same problem...unfixable buzzing from the retention straps. Inside the helmet are a couple of hard plastic straps that allow you to adjust how far up or down the tightening knob sits behind your head. No instructions for how to do this in the owner's manual, which is very tacky of Specialized. For $200+, you'd expect more than generic instructions that apply to all of their helmets, and don't include specific ones for the one you bought. Couldn't tell about the venting because of skull cap and headband, but I think I'm going to love this helmet (once I figure out how to kill the buzzing noise at tempo).

Purchased At:   Geoff's Bike & Ski,

Similar Products Used:   Giro Atmos. A good helmet I got a lot of use out of (but weighs 3 oz more than my Prevail). Crashed with the Giro which is why I replaced it.

Bike Setup:   Serotta Legend SE (custom), Campy Chorus 11, Easton 90SL's. Ridden 4-6K mi/yr.