Home | Reviews | Helmets | Uvex

Uvex Boss Race Helmets

The Uvex Boss Race is a versatile road and mountain cycling helmet that is super light weight and strong. Sleek and stylish colorways matched up with industry leading performance makes for a great helmet. The Boss Race takes advantage of pr...

Submitted by Logan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Safety (it REALLY works! (read below). Fit. Comfort. Features. Style/Look. Function -- anti-bug netting in front (why aren't more helmets made with this?!!!)

Weaknesses:    None yet found.

Bottom Line:
At the Sea Otter Festival (Monterey, CA), I happened across the UVEX booth; I wasn't even looking for, or considering a helmet. The bug netting caught my eye. Brent -- the sales rep -- was Very helpful, and pulled the Boss Race for me. Without any tinkering, or adjusting, the helmet fit, and felt Great! Super light, and super comfortable. I used it the following day for my mt. bike xc race, and completely shattered the helmet (major breaks in four places), while I went over a portion of trail that sent me straight into a 2'+ rut, over the handlebars, and where I pile-drove my head straight into the dirt, about 12' away. A thick batch of dirt on the top right of my helmet, and no other hint of dirt on my body. Evidently, I pile-drove my head into the dirt, and bounced straight to my feet. Finished the race, and went back to UVEX booth to share. Brent says he's never seen a helmet broken so badly; that UVEX flew him to Germany to show him the stress test for the helmet -- 8lb bowling ball in helmet, helmet, with bowling ball, dropped 9' onto metal anvil, must not break to pass test -- and that he was surprised I was walking and talking. The Boss Race Truly did it's job! (Fortunately, my neck didn't snap in the process.)

Favorite Ride:   every ride

Purchased At:   Sea Otter Festival

Similar Products Used:   Giro. Bell. Louis Garneau. All top level race helmets.

Bike Setup:   I have nine bikes, and race and train on them all; and they're all fantastic!

Submitted by innergel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    Great fit.
Easy adjustment.
Carbon white looks good.
Inexpensive compared to other top end helmets.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to find to try on.

Bottom Line:
I needed a replacement for my Limar helmet which is not made anymore. I tried on every helmet at every LBS in Dallas and nothing fit. I liked the look of this helmet and Team Columbia wears them, so I tried to find one to try on. No luck. All the reviews I could find were good and everyone liked the fit system, so I bit the bullet and ordered it.

I'm glad I did. Best fitting helmet I have ever worn. Light, easily adjustable and doesn't give me the major mushroom head look. I have only worn it in cool weather, so I can't speak to the venting in the summer. But I suspect it will be fine. I need to buy another one to keep in storage in case Uvex discontinues this model.

Purchased At:   ebay