Assos Element One Jackets/Vests

The Element One is ideal when you need more than just windblocking -- it provides an extra level of thermal insulation. Pair it with an Assos Powerstatic Plus Base Layer for the perfect level of comfort and warmth when the weather starts to get seriously chilly.

Submitted by vsimmons a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    Quality, comfort, fit, looks

Weaknesses:    pricey, but deals are out there!

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome piece. I use it down to about 40 to 45 degrees up to about 55 degrees. Any warmer than that I reach for the Intermediate. I use one or two base layers when it gets in the 40's. Not a great choice for a super cold, windy day. You'll need a wind breaker, too.

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by dewaynef a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2007

Strengths:    A nice thick Assos quality base layer.

Weaknesses:    There are way too many more flexible solutions to spending 230 bucks for a really thick base layer. I am hoping to find a real use for it down the line. I just expect at Assos prices and quality that when one goes to the closet to grab what is appropriate for a ride then, when appropriate, I should immediately grab this. It should be a no brainer. Not so. I force myself to put it on. Then I take it off and am always happier with what I opted for instead of this. I guess I simply didn't need it. YMMV.

Bottom Line:
It really is a nice piece. I simply cannot determine its real utility. I bought it on ebay thinking it was the Intermediate Jersey (which is incredible). I decided to keep it. I live in upstate Indiana. It gets COLD. Every time I try wear to it I find a combo more functional such as a base layer and a Campy Racing Jacket w/liner. The E-1 is a thick layer but it is not windproof or resistant. If it were it'd be perfect. If it is cold enough to wear this then you need wind protection. My Campy Racing jacket w/liner insert and a base layer gets me to the low 30's. I sweat until I am wet in it in the low 40's.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Campagnolo Racing Waterproof Textran Convertible Jacket - Wow!
Assos Intermediate Jersey - Awesome
Foxwear Evap Jacket - Excellent

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Tuscany.

Assos Element One Jersey/Jacket - Any Good?

Hi - Has anyone got one of these? - I'm seriously thinking about buying one but any advice welcomed! I have an Intermediate Evo Jersey but am after something warmer. I am worried that it's not very windproof. Cheers - RichRead More »