Assos sJ.climaSchutz Jackets/Vests

Assos sJ.climaSchutz Jacket: A fusion of two legendary ASSOS products, climaJet and luftSchutz, creating a compact all-around wind/rainbreaker high performance insulation shell...

Submitted by mike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Strengths:    Function form and fit. It does everything it is supposed to do and does it very well. I so love the through access to my jersey pockets. Great rain jacket for the person who does not like a raincoat

Weaknesses:    Cost. Yes they make the same stuff every one else makes better than anyone else does but 3 times as good?

Bottom Line:
I first bought this rain jacket as a replacement for my second Hydra lite jacket from Sugoi. Recently I think I got hit with some kind of solvent or chemical because the last time I wore my rain coat it was in tact and after that it was peeling away all over my left shoulder. This was my second of these really light membrane over Nylon mesh jackets with the first one splitting at the seams.
So I have already spend over 200 on rain jackets in the last 6 years and I am wondering if that new Assos jacket in the local boutique shop is as good as it looks. Local Retail is around $320.00 which is ridiculous plus taxes. It is available from many european stores for $100 less plus shipping,and maybe duty and taxes. My shop knows this so we reach an agreeable number and I am off to ride and looking for rain. I live in the west coast so wet I can get. I don't have to wait too long to find the rain has started and home is more than 15 minutes away so I put my new jacket on and here is what I found. It works very well and better than any rain shell I have used. It does not keep you bone dry as I think any rain coat combined with vigorous exercise will get you wet inside from your own humidity generator. The jacket is good at laying quietly on your body. NO FLAPPING. It fits close like racing apparel. It vents very well and allowed enough cooling to not over heat yet retained enough warmth to compensate for the wet. You can get into your pockets without lifting the tail which protects you from road spray when without fenders. it is light and looks good too.

You need to know that after an hour of steady drizzle I did get wet arms and a little wet along the side vent. Most of the water on the arms also comes along the vent. This is a good thing because totally dry from the rain would have meant totally soaked from sweat and overheated. My torso was not wet and I think a lot drier than if the jacket was totally water proof. This is a hard riders shell. It offers sustained protection from rain so that you can maintain your core temperature and maintain a high level of comfort by accepting that the ventilation must allow some water. It lets you get wet in areas protected from wind chill and in areas the air flow is exiting. This jacket must last for at least 7 years to match the two it replaces and only time will tell if it makes that for double plus the price of comparable products from Sugoi. If I still have service in 2020 I will never again complain about the cost of Assos products. Today I can't say it is twice as good a rain jacket and I am sure it is not 3 times as good but it is the best 1 I have found and am very pleased with it so far.