Rapha Classic Softshell Jackets/Vests

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

The old adage, 'there's no such thing as bad weather, just insufficient clothing,' is directed at people who skip riding because they don't possess a good multi-purpose shell like the Rapha Women's Softshell Jacket in their wardrobe. There are so many days that are less than perfect, when a bit more protection would make the difference between staying in for fear of getting uncomfortably cold and going out because you know you'll be covered and warm.Rapha, which is headquartered in drizzly, cool, overcast England, knows these days, and this jacket might well be their signature piece. It's practical, stylish, and tough. The stretchy, flexible shell is made of Softshell, a polyester/spandex material that is lined with a Hytrel membrane. The poly/spandex blend makes the jacket comfortable to wear, and the Hytrel makes the jacket windproof and highly water-resistant. Rapha's design imperative gives this jacket a structured shape to better fit the femme geometry. Even the sleeves have been shaped; each is made of three separate panels to make a ...practical, stylish and tough, the Softshell is an excellent jacket with smart details... better, more comfortable curve to the arms. All these general elements make this a good jacket. It's the focus on the details that make the Softshell an excellent jacket.The offset reversed zipper means the jacket fits better when in the riding position and gives the jacket a cleaner look. There's a draft flap behind to keep the zipper from catching any clothing, and the top of the zipper nestles in a dock to prevent the pull from chafing your neck. Also on the collar is a bite grip so you can safely bite the jacket when zipping and un-zipping. The waist has a draw cord with friction locks to customize the fit around your waist, and there are three shaped pockets that are deep enough to carry a fair amount of stuff while still being accessible. The center pocket has a pump sleeve. The right pocket has an exterior zip pocket that can store valuables and an audio player with pink cable loops on the inside to thread headphones into the jacket. There's also a tiny hidden pocket on the right side seam.Best of all, there are some super-smart features that you'll notice when riding. When you're too warm, hidden armpit zippers allow for venting without having to cool your chest with the front zip, but when it's a little too cool and wet, secondary wrist cuffs that go around your hands can be deployed to further seal your arms from the elements. There's a drop-down panel in the back to cover your posterior if you're caught in the rain without a fender -- it even has a reflective Rapha logo on it. The shoulders have reflective piping as well. The left shoulder is rubberized so a messenger bag weighted on this shoulder stays in place.The Rapha Women's Softshell Jacket comes in Black. There's an embroidered Rapha logo in Black on the left arm. Sizes run from XX-Small to X-Large.

Submitted by David Fischer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2013

Strengths:    Looks great . Nice fit.

Weaknesses:    Quality of some parts. Price

Bottom Line:
Ok , overall I like this jacket . Looks good , functional . I just have an issue with the quality of parts of it.
First , my jacket is from 2006 . Maybe things have improved. My issue was and still is with the shoulder areas etc that
had this faux leather stuff - kind of spray painted or such . After a few years it just began to disintegrate , worse and worse , little pieces of black bread crumbs , cannot even wear now.
Tried to get it repaired a few years ago - no go . I never rode with this jacket , normal wear, washed about once each year.
For the price - should have lasted .

Favorite Ride:   Santa Barbara

Similar Products Used:   Other Rapha

Bike Setup:   Serotta w campy

Submitted by davos a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    Highly breathable, large pockets, nice collar

Weaknesses:    cost-not waterproof

Bottom Line:
From a fit perspective this jacket sizes more like a European fit. For the reference I'm 5'9" and weigh about 175-180. My chest size came up fitting in the medium but went with the large for extra room and I'm glad I did. I have broad shoulders and there is plenty of room there but the jacket does narrow down toward the waist. It's also a little shorter than my other jackets but with a bib on this didn't affect me at all. The slim fit cuts down on the drag but I'm not sure I will fit more than 2 thin layers underneath when the weather turns really cold. I was also amazed at how light this jacket is. I was expecting something a little thicker since it's a softshell. So far first impressions are great given the weather I have ridden in. If you want a jacket that will handle a wide variety of temp ranges and weather this is it.

Favorite Ride:   Local Loops

Similar Products Used:   Gore Tool II jacket

Bike Setup:   Lynskey R320 House blend Sram Red- Mavic krysrium SL's

Submitted by Stu a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, functional, well designed
Red colour has good visibility and bright reflective piping
Feels substantial, but not heavy
Warm but breathable
Excellent warranty

Weaknesses:    Serious investment
Fit could be slimmer

Bottom Line:
This jacket is everything Rapha claims it is, and that's a lot. Using their sizing guide, I ordered a Red large (6'3", 180lbs), which fits well but as a slim guy, I find there's a litte too much material in the front. I don't love that it bunches, but wasn't going for a race fit.

On the bike, it feels great. Pit zips, offset front zipper, thumb loops, waist cinch, are all functional details that make sense and work well. Most importantly, it's very windproof without having too much insulation, and breathes very well. I was very comfortable with just a jersey underneath at 50 degrees on Sunday and never overheated during faster sections of my ride. With an extra layer, I stay warm into the lower 30's. No chance to try it lower yet.... We haven't had much rain, so I can't say how water-resistant it is, but it's kept me dry from moderate winter road spray. It just beads right off. I'm not sure how functional the fold-down flap is, you have to make sure you're sitting on it in the wet, but the reflective logo is bright at night.

This is a Rapha product, so of course it's stylish. Really stylish. And when it works so well and fells so good, I don't even feel slightly guilty about that.

Lastly, if you think about buying this jacket, get it off their website to be sure you have the warranty. On one of my first few rides, I slipped in the wet, went over the bars and cracked my wrist. The jacket took serious abuse, with two holes in the sleeves and a phone silhouette ground into the rear pocket. I sent it off to Oregon and a few weeks later, it showed up patched with softshell material and (nearly) good as new! You just can't beat that.

Submitted by geronimo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    look nice

Weaknesses:    weight
not waterproof
quality
black no a great color for road riding - avoid

Bottom Line:
Very nice looking great downtown or for causal rides
Too heavy for training

Patagonia

Bike Setup:   Parlee Z1, Moots RSL, IF XS

Submitted by crashkg a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    The range of conditions this jacket can be used in. The design of the pockets. Comfort, fits perfectly.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I just used this jacket on "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" around lake Tahoe. I was wearing a wool jersey arm warmers and this jacket. I cannot say enough about how fantastic this jacket was. The ride started out with freezing rain and 36 degree weather. The jacket kept the rain out and the rear flap was very helpful from keeping my butt from getting soaked. Around 20 miles in the sun broke out and the rain cleared, I opened up the pit zips and the jacket kept me warm and comfortable. Later in the ride we had hail. On the last climb it was 76 degrees and the rain soaked road was steaming up so much you couldn't see in front of you. I still kept the jacket on and just unzipped the front. This jacket worked like a champ in the most extreme conditions.

Favorite Ride:   PCH

Purchased At:   Bike Effect

Bike Setup:   Colnago c40 Bstay.