Bergamo Technical Jersey Jerseys

High quality clothing from Italy's Marcello Bergamo

Submitted by allezwheelie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Styling and fit.
Zipper lays flat -- though that may actually be a contributing factor to my problem area.

Weaknesses:    Low collar.
Heavy zipper contributes to pressure point just below collar -- relieved by staying in the drops.

Bottom Line:
I've been wanting an Italian branded and made jersey for some time (not confuse with Italian brand made in Mexico/China etc). that fit my budget. Came across the Bergamo for half off the $99 price tag. The fit at the LBS was great despite being a size larger than I normally wear (attributing it to European physique, Italian styling/sizing convention). Put it on soon as I got home and headed out. Within 10 minutes into the ride I felt an uncomfortable scratchiness on my skin above the sternum. Relieved only when I unzipped about 4-5 inches below collar. I abandoned the ride soon after. Upon inspection of the stitching there were strands of nylon threads poking out. A rash like redness appeared localized to the area of the skin making contact with the material. I cut the threads to the core and tried identifying any other potential scratchy trouble spots unsuccessfully. No bargain here... live and learning situation, doomed to wearing this one in colder weather with coolmax undershirt.

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi
Performance

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by adamfresno a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Strengths:    Quality. breathable, price. full zipper, heavy duty zipper

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Quality.

Purchased At:   glorycycles.com

Submitted by Serac a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Strengths:    The zipper is oversize, much like those on backpacks. Compare this to Castelli's Simple Jersey small zipper and you will see the difference. The larger zipper lays flatter against my skin and feels more secure if I have it in a 3/4 position. Further, wear and tear has blown out other smaller zippers on other jerseys. Though the jury is still out on that count for the Bergamo. Also important is the flat stitching employed. These seem to stretch better and, again, lay flatter and more comfortably than typical stitching. Again, the beauty is in the details!

Weaknesses:    The sleeves tend to ride up a bit.

Bottom Line:
It is difficult to write about such a personal choice but suffice it to say that Bergamo has made some high quality stuff. The thing that separates this jersey from others I have worn is the attention to details. In short, this attention has turned this jersey into my go-to jersey every time I head out the door.

Purchased At:   Schwab Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Castelli, Voler, Cannondale, Primal Wear, etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   Orbea road, Titus MTB