Bontrager RL Road Shoes

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

With top-quality uppers and a lightweight and efficient Silver-series carbon outsole, the RL packs the performance punch of its big sister RXL, but without the premium price tag. And since we use the same overall construction techniques as found on the RXL, the RL brings an unprecedented level of comfort to this category of shoe. With so much performance and comfort, you'll never miss what's missing.

Submitted by Zachariah

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    ~Very light
~Looks sharp, in white
~Wide toe box
~Simple ratchet buckle operation
~Micro adjustment of buckle, while riding
~Replaceable heel inserts
~Priced right

Weaknesses:    ~Insole is terrible. Upgrade ASAP
~Cleat thread inserts easily come unbonded
~Not the best ventilation

Bottom Line:
I have to admit - it's a great looking shoe, and it actually fits better than my SIDI Genius4. The ultra-wide toe box is great for those with Duck's feet(mine are NOT). But, you wont get a single hot spot, even after mile 80. The Silver Series Inform Carbon sole is very stiff. All power gets transferred to the cranks. However, the uppers are similar to Patent Leather, and will get quite hot. The mesh ventilation is simply inadequate, in my opinion.

Another gripe are the cleat inserts. They WILL become loose, if you apply too much force, screwing-in the cleats. Upon opening the inner sole - I found the tiny, triangular threaded inserts are merely TAPED to the sole bed! So much for China-made quality control! I applied a small amount of epoxy and the cleats now stay inside securely. Good thing Bontrager and your local Trek dealer can easily warranty the entire shoes for no charge.

Submitted by rboseley99 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort. Solid. Price

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a pair of $375 Sidi’s and finally came to the conclusion they were pinching my toes. Got these Bontragers for $179 and they beat the Sidi’s by miles. Very comfortable - solid sole - good fastening device. No more grossly expensive shoes for me.

Favorite Ride:   2010 Trek 6.5

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Nike

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 6.5 - Aeolus for most days - Shimano's for windy days. All DA.

Submitted by Al a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Strengths:    Lots of toe room, insole, colors, ride quality minimal hot spots on long rides over 50mi. Unlike Sidi you don't have to treat these with kid gloves in fear of ruining the look.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
After looking for over two months I found these at a LBS. What I liked right away was the fact that it didn't feel like my toes were all jammed together. I also like the buckle strap, my last pair of shoes had only velcro straps. The esoles are nice, I am still playing around with the fit of the insole but it is a nice feature. The colors and style are very nice and look good with my bikes paint.
It feel like the shoes are doing all the work on my rides, very nice power distibution.

Similar Products Used:   Diadora road shoe

Bike Setup:   TREK Madone 5.0

Submitted by choocher a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, stiff sole--light--great fit (for me)--narrow heel, wide toe-box--nice ratchet buckle and velcro straps. All in all, I really like these shoes, and I think they're a good value.

Weaknesses:    The uppers don't breathe well--ventilation could be better.

Bottom Line:
Nice stiff sole--the buckle and strap works nice. I have low volume feet, so I appreciate the fact that I don't have to crank the strap down all the way (like on most shoes). The two velcro straps work fine. The eSole insole isn't comfortable to me, so I opted to replace with a Superfeet insole, which works good for me. The uppers are very supportive and the overall shape of the show is great for me. I like how big the toe-box is too. If you set your cleats far back, though, you might run into problems with your show rubbing on the cranks.

Purchased At:   Smith's Cycling and

Similar Products Used:   I've raced for 25 years and used just about everything.

Bike Setup:   Dean El Vado/all DA/Ritchey WCS BandS/lots of different wheels.

Who wear Bontrager RL road shoes, please help.

[FONT=Tahoma]I would like to know how to read the format of manufacturing date. I saw from the printed label inside the shoes. The date is shown as 10-01-2012. I'm wondering if this is a manufacturing date. If so, my shoes were manufactured in October 1, 2012 or January 10,2012?[/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma ... Read More »

Bontrager RL Road Shoes ?????

Trying to find some feedback on these shoes. Looking to upgrade my shoes this season and my LBS is pushing these shoes. They look like a decent buy at $179.99 but hoping someone has used them recently. Please help or forward any reviews to me. Thanks BrianRead More »