Home | Reviews | Shoes | Mavic

Mavic Zxellium Ultimate Shoes

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Mavic Zxellium Ultimate Road Shoe is the ultimate combination of power transfer, lightweight, and comfort developed and used by the Mavic pro riders. Improved power transfer, reduced weight and better comfort due to the reinforced Carbon Frame combined with a new closer fitting Ergo Heel and Ergo Lite Upper.

Submitted by open roader a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, no excess grams on these.......

Comfortable to all but the very widest of feet. The moulded insoles are excellent.

The triple bolt holes have a lot of adjustment range.

The shoes are well constructed with useful 'real world' fitment / ratchet tensioning straps and a truly stiff carbon sole.

These shoes hold the yellow colour well and are easily and quickly returned to as new bright yellow colouration with an occasional high pressure car wash hose.

Weaknesses:    Some might balk at the price but I feel like I have got very good value from these shoes.

I wish they had the same wide open weave ventilation as the Mavic Fury MTB shoes. The mesh vent weave on these is a closer waeve and does not breath as much as I'd like being a mostly mild to hot weather rider.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of 2009 Mavic Zxelium Ultimate road shoes in the Yellow colour.

These shoes are very light weight and feature an extremely stiff carbon sole. The Zxelium Ultimates are not a particularly wide cut shoe compared to higher end Shimano shoes but I hardly consider my feet narrow by any stretch and I have no complaints about the fit.

After useage of 2 to 3 rides per week these shoes have no stitching come adrift and with only occasional high pressure hosing (car wash) still look close to new condition.

Favorite Ride:   Otway Ranges, Great Ocean Road

Purchased At:   CRC UK

Similar Products Used:   Shimano R133's

Bike Setup:   Colnago C50 with Campagnolo Record 11 speed, Campagnolo Eurus wheel set and Schwalbe Ultemo R.1 tyres. Oval Concepts R910 bars and R900 stem - Selle SMP glider saddle.

Submitted by Mash11 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff bottoms but feel springy in a good way.
Lots of Adjustability - bolt holes not fixed.
Light weight - 584 gms with custom insoles and SPD-SL cleats per pair. Sh-r300s are 717 gms with the same setup.

Weaknesses:    Nowhere near as comfortable as the custom molded SH-R300.

Bottom Line:
My Shimano R300s never really wowed me as far as power transfer - fit like a glove but power transmission was lacking. The problem was that the q factor was simply to narrow caused my hips to rotate and I couldn't generate any sprinting power. Enter the Mavic shoes which had been on the shelf for a year. Larger q factor and instant 8 mph faster top end because I could extend my legs properly and use all of my quad.

Purchased At:   xxcylce

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mavic Zxellium vs. Zxellium Ultimate

I realize that some people may not be too keen on these shoes because of the color, but for some reason I'm hooked on them and am looking at getting a new pair. After looking at the two models from the title (Zxellium and Zxellium Ultimate), is there really and difference other than $150 between the ... Read More »