Home | Reviews | Shoes | Mavic

Mavic Zxellium Shoes

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Mavic Zxellium Maxi Shoes(0x8ff37a98)

Submitted by Juan Asencio a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    Dead Sexy! Adjustable. Stiff, but without sacrificing comfort.

Weaknesses:    Get dirty way too easily. No spare parts! Fitting is usually a hastle. Not the perfect ergonomics for my feet, but a great shoe if you have the right feet!

Bottom Line:
In general I really like these shoes. They're really sexy! I got a yellow pair size 44 2/3 online, wich was a mistake, because I never got a proper fit of a cycling shoe before, until I tried them on and they were incredibly long for me. I returned them and got me a size 42 2/3. I'm a size 43 Sidi, so I thought they would fit just right, wich they did. At first a experienced sort of a hastle because the middle strap and the ratchet system were a little too short 4me, nevertheless u can adjust both thanks to the features of the shoe, so good job Mavic! Nevertheless, I experienced some numbness for some time, untill I went to my bike shop and got a proper fit of the cleat. The swelling instantly dissapeared. The sole is pretty stiff, hardly any flex, and by miracle the insole was Ok for my feet. I have medium arched feet.

Two things I dont like about the shoe: No replaceable Parts! My buckle Unlock Lever got broke on an accident, and I'm constatly searching for a spare buckle , but with no results. Now I have to unbuckle with my car keys by playing with the ratchet and the buckle, unabling me to adjust while on the road. Definately SUCKS!!!
Second, everytime I remove the shoe and try on a pal's Sidi, I feel the glory! I noticed the Zxcellium shoe has sort of a fit for european riders than tend to have narower feet. I truly think that Sidi is much more ergonomically correct for my feet. They're not uncomfortable, but I would prefer the Sidi fit.

In conclusion, I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THESE TO A FRIEND. I do like the shoes, but the fact that they don't sell spare parts is the ultimate no no 4me... Next time I'm getting Sidi, no matter what it costs! If ur still considering buying them, go and TRY THEM OUT FIRST!!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Sidi genius 5. Serfas.

Submitted by Ken

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Style
The tops are soft and comfortable
build

Weaknesses:    Rock hard insoles.
Like riding on plywood.

Bottom Line:
These were recommended for me to help resolve the numb toes. Even with inserts that have shims, arch supports, metatarsal buttons they are too hard. I moved the cleats around, spun rather than mashed. I tried it all. My old Adidas were more comfortable. I'm buying Sidi.

Submitted by rossj a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2012

Strengths:    Look soooooo cool
Light
Comfy like a slipper

Weaknesses:    Unforgiving for some with flat feet (see above)
have a little bit of give in the upper material making them hard to tighten down.

Bottom Line:
I got these for 50% off so I cant really complain about value. However, retail is $320 now. I may be a special case but as a person with quite pronounced forefoot varus, these shoes don't like me right off of the shelf. If you have the type of flat foot that arrives due to a supinated forefoot (meaing your foot has to pronate for your forefoot to hit the floor) get Specialized shoes. Specialized builds a small amount of forfoot varus into the shape of their last and their aftermarket insole system has wedges to build it up more. Those insoles may work in the Zxellium but, I opted to make my own (I am a PT). Coming off of Specialized shoes these felt like I had a hole in my shoe under my first metatarsal. If you have a more normal or high arched foot these should be fine. I like them well enough to keep them with my modifications. They are comfortable when strapped down tight and don't seem to have any tight spots or areas of pressure on my foot. I typically wear a 11.5 or 12 in US sizing and wore a 45 in Specialized. I wear an 11 in Mavic which they call a 45 1/3. The heel slips a little bit but, I don't notice it when I am riding, only walking. The top strap comes across the top of my foot a little low, allowing this. But, that also means the strap does not cut into my Tibialis Anterior tendon. They are very light and look friggen sweet. If you like the flashy yellow, that is.

Favorite Ride:   fast!

Purchased At:   Competetive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   2011 Cannondale SuperSix w/force build

Submitted by Ryan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    • Lightweight
• Well Built no major marks, and I race criterium's A-Lot.
• If you like a bright yellow then you will love these.
• When it comes to sizing get a size equal to your american shoes. I found the Mavic shoe size scale to be very similar to the Nike shoe scale.
• VERY STIFF, these are beyond my expectations, I normally climb a 17%-22% hill (3 Miles) for intervals. My wattage went up almost 12% with these shoes.
• Built Tough I am a young cyclist who destroys races. If you enjoy a product that lasts, and is extremely stiff then get these.

Weaknesses:    • Expensive $220-300 is a lot to spend on one aspect of a sport.
• Get dirty easily. Just go to your local shoe store and ask for general shoe polish (Many material grade).
• I was very excited to get these and foolishly walked on a brick walkway over to where my dad was to show him. They got a small scrape on them. ( I am very picky) I was immediately torn by this and quickly put the cleat on to cover it up. The bottoms of the shoes are carbon fiber not cheap plastic, they do scratch, but it does not effect performance.

Bottom Line:
When I first got the idea of purchasing the yellow sparkling wonders, I had been using a cheap pair of specialized comp road shoes. Those were alright but they were heavy and I was getting into junior nationals, etc. So I went online and found these flashy shoes. I order these off real cyclist and got them 4 days later. I opened the box and was immediately shocked by how gosh darn bright they were. But I loved them! I immediately went for a 50 mile ride, which felt strange even though I used the same shimano cleats. After I got back I felt like my legs had worked harder then ever, I think it was because of how lightweight these shoes are. Few things to take into consideration with these shoes:
1. They are very bright, you will not want to get them dirty since you paid $200+ but that is just life.
2. They are expensive! Although I have had two pairs of SIDI's which I loved! These are my overall favorite.
3.They are extremely lightweight. (Lighter then the box/website says)
4. They are very showy, so it takes a while to get use to them, Luckily you can work them a little bit and then polish with a less fine polish. I enjoy a darker yellow.
OVERALL I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE TO A FRIEND.

Favorite Ride:   Mountains