Pearl Izumi Race RD Shoes

The Pearl Izumi Race RD III cycling shoe is a new level of performance shoe that is light and affordable all at once. Incorporating many top of the line features including a bi-directional closure, a 1:1 Power Plate, and built in Longitudinal Arch Support, this shoe offers a comfortable fit that facilitates efficient power transfer throughout the entire ride.

Submitted by Del a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Nice ratchet system and looks.

Weaknesses:    The sole, doesn't measure up to the demands required. False economy..

Bottom Line:
Purchased these recently on-line from Velo Ecosse after being seduced by the stylish red and white colour scheme and the price, I paid £70 for them. First time I rode them I noticed a fair amount of flex through the nylon sole, especially when ascending sharply, initially I put this down to the fact that the shoes were new and needed some time to bed in. However, this issue persisted to such an extent that I was experiencing a bruised feeling to the soles of my feet when not riding. I have never experienced this before with any other shoe whether they be carbon or nylon soled.
I am a bigger rider, weighing in at 14 stones, and ride fairly high mileage of around 200 a week. It's my view that these shoes ain't up to the demands that a more powerful rider will need from them. I put this to the shop who contacted Madison who import Pearl Izumi into the UK since Shimano bought them out. They came back with a fairly stock response which didn't really take into account different riding styles etc.
All that said, I think these shoes would suit a commuter who likes to take it easy on their way to work, and definitely not suitable for the more aggressive, powerful rider.

Favorite Ride:   Surrey Hills