Pearl Izumi Vagabond R3 Shoes

Pearl Izumi Vagabond R3 Woman's Road Cycling Shoe. Voted best cycling shoe value by Bicycling Magazine in 2005, the lightweight and comfortable Vagabond is ideal for the road cyclist who demands performance and value

Submitted by Chris P a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, great ventilation, sharp looks, reflective material, very nice shoe for not a lot of dough. Lots of adjustability with 3 velcro straps (I used to like the ratchet systems, but I am leaning more toward velcro straps). One of the best values in a road shoe I have seen.

Weaknesses:    Those who prefer a ratchet strap system might not like these.

Bottom Line:
Until today I used Specialized mountain shoes with Shimano SPD pedals for all my riding, off road and on. Started with Sidi Titans for about a week, hated them, ATB ever since for shoes/pedals.

I found a good deal on these Pearl Izumi's, liked how they looked and felt, so I just did a quick 25 miler tonight on the road bike after installing some Shimano SPD-SL pedals and cleats. WOW- I would not have believed the difference - way stiffer, better ventilation, and I felt faster.

The Pearls fit great, even though I have a wider foot (just loosen the velcro straps a little). I usually fit into a 42.5, but due to close-out on these shoes, the closest I could get was a 43. Fit like a glove.

I believe these got the Bicycling Magazine Editor's Choice award in 2005.

Favorite Ride:   Any hilly xc-skiing area or scenic, smooth blacktop