Shimano SH-R151 Shoes

4.58/5 (19 Reviews)

New carbon-fiber sole with hollow channels for optimal balance between stiffness and weight. High-positioned top strap with two asymmetrical straps alleviate pressure points and create a secure, stable and comfortable pedaling platform with maximum transfer of power. Molded toecap and heel cup with functional air vents. SPD-SL design that is Look® compatible. 38-48, including half sizes 42.5-46.5. Available in “E” widths with a roomier toe box. SSX-ZF-B1

Submitted by MikeP a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    Very firm but comfortable shoe that can be used for all seasons and all types of road rides.

Weaknesses:    only one I can think of is that the poly coating on the sole heel and toe protection has worn off. Only cosmetic and you can't see when weaing them.

Bottom Line:
Bought these as first shoes 3yrs ago and they are great. Had no problems with them at all really comfortable and give a good ride. Need to tape up sole hole in winter & rain, but excellent cooling in summer - works well as an all season shoe.

Favorite Ride:   Hurstmonceux loop

Purchased At:   Phoenix cycles

Similar Products Used:   don't know

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR

Submitted by choa a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    Well ventilated, great look, stiff carbon sole.

Weaknesses:    Price maybe, not for cold weather.

Bottom Line:
My first bike shoes, I don't have experience with other shoes. I have wide feet, so i bought wide model. Works fine for me. Sometime (after long ride) I can feel hole in the sole, but that's not the problem.

Favorite Ride:   Long

Purchased At:   Local shop

Bike Setup:   No-name Al. frame & fork, Shimano 105/Ultegra, Mavic CXP21, Hutchinson Quartz, Deda Elementi , FRM, Selle Italia Flite

Submitted by jkook a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, feel good, the vent is great in the summer and when it is not raining. They look nice too.

Weaknesses:    The heal and toe pads are not replaceable. The Heal pad cap has worn through the clearcoat molding and is now spining on the rivet, 2 rivets would have been better or screw replacement pads. The vent at the toe is not great when it is cold, I put some tape over the hole if I know it is cold or going to rain.

Bottom Line:
I found these at closeout in my size, the shop was going to all ratchet closures for upperend carbon soled shoes, so I went out for them. I have riden about 1200 miles in them and like them alot.

Favorite Ride:   Stumpfield Rollers

Purchased At:   LBS Closeout

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG shoes

Bike Setup:   which one

Submitted by edward a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    If you don't need a locking buckle these are great. I wear my shoes a little loose. Great sole. Great ventilation. Great color, everything goes with black.

Weaknesses:    The hole on the sole on the bottom may bother some and if you need a tight fit, these may not be for you. It would be cool if these had a boa closer for a eqaul tightening/looseneing

Bottom Line:
Awesome shoes for wide feet ! Colorado Cyclist had them for a price that I couldn't pass up. I had a pair of Shimano RH098's that fit good but I got hot spots after a couple of hours (entry level shoe with plastic sole). These solved the problem (with a better sole).

Favorite Ride:   Any Time Hot

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 98, Specialized BG S-Works (great shoes, but too narrow for me).

Bike Setup:   Steel with Ultegra

Submitted by Nejc a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2007

Strengths:    wery stiff and comfortable, well ventilated

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
At first I was a bit skeptical because these shoes looked so compact and hard. When I put them on for a ride for the first time I still wasn't to sure about them, but then after few rides I could not have imagined riding with old sidis!
These shoes are so super stiff but yet comfortable. They are really super ventilated and wuth that three velcro straps you can really adjust the right tension on your feet.
After four hours in the saddle the still feel like they were on jour feet just for a few minutes. Great shoes, really worth of buying!