Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sidi

Sidi Genius 4 Mega Shoes

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by jarhead-usmc a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2006

Strengths:    The perfect shoe for big guys with big, wide feet.

Weaknesses:    None, these are the only shoes for guys with wide feet.

Bottom Line:
I am a short stocky guy with wide feet. I have a pair of Nike Lance II's and few pairs of Poggio's. Those shoes are very light and cool looking but KILLED my feet after about 20 min. in the ride. I found out about the Sidi Mega's for us riders with big wide feet. I got to say these shoes are AMAZING. No more hot spots or pain !!!!! Long rides are so much more comfortable now. These are the perfect shoes for bigger guys with wide feet !!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Nike Lance II
Nike Poggio I
Nike Poggio II
Nike Poggio III

Bike Setup:   2005 Trek Madone 5.9 SL(USPS Edition) with Cateye 300-DW, Look KeO Ti Pedals, Bontrager Carbon Cages.

Submitted by westpenncyclist a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2005

Strengths:    They're black
Great place to hide knick-knacks and trinkets.

Weaknesses:    No arch support
Toebox too narrow
Insole too flat

Bottom Line:
Sidi shoes are by and far the most over priced and overrated cycing shoe on the market and is devoid of any functional design elements. The insole is flat, too wide at the heal, and too narrow at the forefoot. They offer no arch support and the toebox is too cramped. Even the Mega model I wore is too narrow in the forefoot. The entire year I wore them, I suffered from "hotspots" and "toe numbness." I honestly believe that those who rate these shoes highly are either shills or have never tried a high-end shoe from another manufacturer. These shoes are so badly designed I thought my feet were severely malformed and that I needed custom shoes. But after consulting with a sports pedorthist and a podiatrist, I discovered I simply needed a shoe designed to fit the human foot. I've been told that Sidi aficionados that they’re a so-called "European style" shoe. I'm not sure what the means. Every European I've ever met had human feet. Shimano, Specialized, and Carnac all make a superior high-end shoe in both form and function. [For the record, I have an “E” width foot.]

Favorite Ride:   Laurel Highlands

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Shimmano R215-E
Specialized 05 Pro Carbon Road
Specialized 05 Comp Road
Carnac M5 Carbon

Bike Setup:   Frameset: Custom designed, TIG welded, Seamless Double Butted Aerospace Grade 9 (AL2.5/V3) TITANIUM tubing
Groupset: Shimano Dura Ace 10 Speed (7800)
Crankset: FSA SL-K Compact MegaExo (172.5mm)
Custom Wheelset: Velocity Aerohead (OC) rims; Chris King Classic Road Hubs; 12-23 Shimano cassette; DT Swiss Revolution spokes (2.0/1.5); DT Swiss ProLock Brass Nipples
Fork: Reynolds Ouzo Pro Lite
Stem: Easton EC70 Carbon (110mm)
Handlebar: Easton EC90 Equipe (42mm)
Headset: Chris King Classic Road (1-1/8")
Pedals: Speedplay X2
Saddle: Koobi Enduro PRS
Seatpost: USE Alien Carbon
Tires: Serfas Seca RS (700x23)

Submitted by adams_va a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable for the American Foot.
One of the few that will fit a wide foot well!

Weaknesses:    Exspensive

Bottom Line:
If you have a wide foot, these are the way to go! Longest ride in these was 98 miles, normal ride 27 miles 4 days a week. Being x-mil I know what an uncomfortable shoe can do. I paid the price for these and out of all the cash I have spent, these were well worth what I paid for the type of riding I do!

Favorite Ride:   Rouges Rd 27 Miles

Purchased At:   Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Trek 1500

Submitted by cthomas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2004

Strengths:    Light, durable, classic look, stiff sole.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Bought these to upgrade from my Genius 3's. I can wear the standard width, but prefer the mega's with a thicker insert.

Sidi's are flat out comfortable. They feel great right out of the box, and the stiffness of the sole is impressive. I am a big rider and never have hotspot's with these shoes (ridden with both Look and Speedplay pedals).

I don't like the arch compression strap as well as the leather flap on the Genius 3's, but the buckle is a great improvement (the pin's work loose on the 3's).

The durability of the Sidi Lorica is impressive. I was always putting polish on my Carnac's for the scuffs. The Sidi's only need a little leather luster to clean them and they look good as new.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Ital-techno

Similar Products Used:   Carnac Matrix, Shimano, other Sidi's.

Bike Setup:   Custom Seven Alaris, Full D/A, Velomax Wheels, Speedplay Zero pedals.