Specialized 03 Comp Road Shoe Shoes

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Performance road shoe with Body Geometry fit system. Three-strap closure, synthetic leather and mesh upper. Lightweight walkable blown rubber heel. SPD, SPD-R and Look compatible.

Submitted by oggie_gb a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort.

Weaknesses:    The holes for mounting on SPD cleats are drilled too far towards heal. Even with the cleats positioned as far forward as possible I can't bring full power onto the pedals, I need to position the cleats about 1cm extra towards toe. Looked into drilling holes in sole of shoe but the recess also doesn't allow the plate to go far enough forward. Will take back to shop or manufacturer for replacement.

Bottom Line:
Bought these as my new bike had clipless pedals. These shoes were by far the best fit in all those tested in the shop. Unfortunately I didn't try them on a bike before I purchased. Very comfortable with multiple fixings for different pedals. The shoes also look good but see weaknesses for major issue that spoils the whole product.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Standard Trek 1000, Sora gearset etc.

Submitted by MadMax44 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Strengths:    comfort, support, good looks, nice price.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
These shoes are top notch in quality of build and materials. The first time out I was as comfortable as the 10th. No break in neccesary, can wiggle my toes, I have a high arch but have plenty of support. The Sole is plenty stiff, i'm 215lbs (9% body fat) and do sprints during my rides with excellent support. Alot of bang for the buck and I highly recomend them.

Favorite Ride:   Pinnalis Trail

Purchased At:   Chainwheel Drive

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   Specialized, Selle Pro-link Gel seat, Speedplay X/2 pedals.

Submitted by rdhammonds a Recreational Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good looks, good quality and stiff.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
This shoe has a great fit and is very stiff. I weight 220 and use size 46 and they fit like a glove. The three straps keep the shoe secure and it feels like part of my foot. The shoe is exactly what I expected from specialized. I also liked the color (grey) because it will go with any bike color. They are basically the same shoe as the $150.00 2002 pro model. I feel very well balanced on the pedal and I am only using Wellgo spd pedals. I plan on switching to newer shimano pedals but am very happy with this shoes fit and quality.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Raleigh 600 with 105. 2001 model. Just bought a Scattante Airplane for $445.00 with columbus airplane tubing and curve seat stays and fork! What a deal. Plan on building it up with Dura ace and ultegra, these shoes are worthy.

Submitted by Predrag a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    You name it: comfortable, strong, light, good materials used....

Weaknesses:    The sole. All the strengths dissapear when one can not adjust the foot fore-aft position. The holes are drilled so far backwards that the max backwards position of the ball is limited to 5mm in front of the axle (ball/axle position). I cannot understand this. I will try to get my money back. I do not know if the Look or SPD-R combination works OK, but if the maker explicitly states that the shoe is compatible with (old) SPD, what one could expect.
In one word, excellent wearing shoe with unusable sole. Sorry, "S", I bought these shoes because I own your Team MTB shoes which are the best in the Universe, but...

Bottom Line:
Excellent comfort: I am not even aware that I'm wearing them. I have wide foot, and I like to wiggle my toes inside the shoe.
Unbelievably poorly designed sole: with my DA SPD pedals I can not get a neutral foot position (ball over the axle) because the holes in the sole are drilled too far backwards. I still cannot believe that "S" could let this thing on the market.