Specialized 05 Pro Carbon Road Shoe Shoes

4.73/5 (22 Reviews)

A no compromise road shoe for serious road racers, but comfortable enough for all-day rides

Submitted by utahman

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Poor Design. Uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
Problem #1
My experience with Specialized has been mostly negative. What do they specialize in ? Apparently Asian sweatshop manufacturing of inferior quality disposable cycling products.

Let me explain: I bought a pair of new Specialized high-end road cycling shoes. Within ten minutes out of the box the sole began to separate from the upper section at the heel. All I did was take a few steps on a carpeted floor to get used to the feel & to determine strap adjustment. I immediately took the shoes off and noticed there was barely any glue holding these shoes together.

I decided to go straight to the source instead of to a local bike shop (I received these as a gift & didn’t have a receipt anyway). I ended up taking these Chinese made, top-of-the-line shoes to a large Specialized distribution center which happens to be nearby.

I will at least give Specialized credit for exchanging the defective pair for new ones.
They did the right thing.

Problem #2
So now with my new pair of Specialized Pro Carbon Road shoes featuring “Body Geometry” - after a few minutes of hard riding my feet begin to “fall asleep ”.
I‘ve tried everything to remedy: loosen the straps, change shoe inserts, shift my riding position, lower the saddle, change the saddle, and change pedals. Still, I have this very bizarre experience of having circulation cut off.

HOWEVER - and this is the real interesting revelation - when I wear my Sidi Genius shoes everything is OK...no problems of any kind regardless of any changes to the bike or my riding style. I’ve also owned Cannondale & Shimano and although they were not as comfortable as Sidi, at least they didn’t cause this kind of irritation / damage to my feet.

Conclusion: Something is seriously wrong with the design of these Specialized shoes.
You want the best cycling shoes ? Get Sidi.

Submitted by peter Stevens a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, light, look ok, very adjustable.

Weaknesses:    The insole does nothing for people with high arches (I didn't think mine were that high . . . they seem pretty regular to me)

Bottom Line:
These are great shoes - but if you have high arches: listen up! My first ride with these shoes was terribly painful after 40 miles or so. I replaced the insoles with Superfeet and BINGO! No soreness, great ride, no hot spots, very good feel comfort and power-wise.

Favorite Ride:   Long with hills

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Comp (from 3 years ago) - nylon sole.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3

Submitted by supafreak a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable. Great fit for medium volume foot. Stiff, efficient carbon sole. Durable, quality construction. (no rips, tears or loose threads after 20,000 miles.) Still white. Great Value.

Weaknesses:    Insole/ footbed. I replaced the stock footbed with a custom Rocket Seven carbon footbed which is an Awesome Value!
No replaceable heel bumpers.

Bottom Line:
Excellent shoes. Durable, comfortable, attractive, stiff sole, conforming uppers. I've been wearing these shoes for over 20,000 miles and have found outstanding performance with them. I'm tempted to try the Sidi 6.6 carbons but I don't think the Sidi's can improve much on these Pro Carbon's.

Favorite Ride:   Mount Evans

Purchased At:   Eriks Bike Shop - Ma

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Genius 3, Carnac, Shimano w/carbon sole (really stiff!) Old Northwave (crap), 1992 Diadora = ugly comfort

Bike Setup:   '06 Look 585 w/ yada, yada, yada & stuff

Submitted by Luc Louis-Seize a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    Nervous,compact frame,quick respond

Weaknesses:    To much flex in bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
This is one off the best bike I ever try.Nervous and agile.Required to be in shape because it demand to have good legs.

Favorite Ride:   Giant tcr 1 carbon 2003

Purchased At:   hull

Similar Products Used:   ?????

Submitted by Kevin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    No flex at all!!!! I can tell a huge difference from my old shoes.

Weaknesses:    Not too comfy to walk in due to no flex. The footbed is not the greatest. I used my own.

Bottom Line:
Being too cheap and really disliking to adjust in a new pair of shoes, I had a non carbon pair of Sidi shoes for years. I now have a pair of carbon soled shoes and it is an immense difference. I can tell that I am more powerfull. Specilized euro size runs a little different from others. I usually take a 48, but I take a 47 in these.

Favorite Ride:   The Gaps

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   First pair of carbon shoes.

Bike Setup:   Pinnarello Surprise with Campy Record.