Specialized BG Pro Road Shoes

Combining a traditional buckle closure, full carbon sole, and proven Body Geometry technology, it's easy to see why many of our sponsored riders choose the Pro road shoe.

Submitted by bsmith201

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2013

Strengths:    -Comfort
-Stiffness
-Air Flow
-Durability
-Modification Ability (With specialized BG inserts)
-Looks

Weaknesses:    -Cost

Bottom Line:
I bought these in hopes of reducing the foot and specifically toe pain that I had experienced in other road shoes. I have flat feet and have always had issues with toe pain on long rides. These shoes, customized with the BG + inserts not only eliminated my foot pain, but corrected my knee tracking.

Beyond comfort and looks these shoes are amazing performance wise. They are light, yet stiff and breathe extremely well. I have put in over 6,000 miles on these shoes and they still look like new when I wash them off. Could not be more pleased.

Submitted by S a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable! There is plenty of room room in the toe box and the shoe is still secure without being cinched down too hard.

Well ventilated. I like the vent through base of the shoe (but you have to cut/perforate the insert to benefit from it)

The insert is actually really nice. I probably will not replace it with an aftermarket insert.

Stiff & light

Less expensive than an equivalent Carnac or Sidi (but still kinda pricey)

Weaknesses:    I think there needs to be more padding bettween the inside (opposite the buckle) mount for the top strap. It hurts my foot when I *walk* in the shoes but is somehow fine when I'm riding. I imagine this might be a problem depending on your foot shape. Not exactly a "weakness" since everything works out in the end but I thought I'd mention it. Look out for it when you try the shoes on.

I've come to to accept that carbon fiber soles make sense but I can't get over the nice cosmetic layer of carbon weave on the bottom of the shoe. Showy and probably expensive. How 'bout a layer of heat-reflecting paint?

Bottom Line:
My main criteria for a great piece of equipment is that I don't think about it when I'm using it. I put these on and forget that I'm wearing them.

I actually bought these because I liked the Specialized BG comp mountain bike shoes so much and wanted the road version... and the decided to upgrade. These are great shoes. They vent well, are made well, nice and stiff, look cool, and are actually comfortable. I'm a big fan of the toe box that actually has room for a normal foot.

My only (very small) gripe is the top strap. It's nice and wide so it distributes pressure well. It's very adjustable (you can move the strap mount and the buckle mount) which should make this a versatile shoe. However, it's still the second best strap system I've seen. The best is, oddly enough, present on the comp version of this shoe. *shrug*

Favorite Ride:   Hilly roads in the Siuslaw Valley

Purchased At:   Markee's Cycling and

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumis for years. Louis Garneaus for even longer. Specialized BG Comp.

Bike Setup:   I have a few different bikes.
Speedplay pedals.

Submitted by Greg Smalter a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Stiffness
Roomy toe box
No hot spots
No heel wiggle
Overall comfort
Replaceable heel pad
Heel pad that does not fall off (again, Sidi)

Weaknesses:    The ratchet mechanism is harder to use than the 2008 model. But it also hasn't broken yet, which is more than I can say for my Sidi's.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are fantastic. I compared these shoes to the new Pearl Izumis, Bontragers, and the 2008 model of this shoe.

The 09 Specialized has the most comfortable toe box of any shoe I have used. And, my heel doesn't slip. This is the only shoe that accomplishes both those things for me.

The insoles are high quality and don't need immediately replacing like with my Sidis.

In the cold weather, circulation is excellent and my feet stay warm (with toe covers).

There are no hot spots that I feel through the sole. I used to feel this all the time with my Sidis, and I have huge pedals (Times).

I hope they never stop making these.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Genius.

I'm looking for a screamin' deal on Specialized BG Pro road shoes

The title says it all......anyone hear of anything???? Size 44 Wide.Read More »

Shoes: Specialized BG Pro Road vs. Shimano SH-R220 vs. Shimano SH-R240

I originally was considering the Specialized BG Pro Road shoes and the Sidi Genius 5.5 in this thread: [URL="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=200788"]Link[/URL], but now I am having second thoughts after reviewing some info about the Shimano shoes. Partly this is because a fitter t ... Read More »

Specialized BG Pro Road Shoe vs. Sidi Genius 5.5

I have tried on, and am deciding between the Specialized BG Pro Road Shoe and the Sidi Genius 5.5. Turns out they are within $13 of each other in my case, so the price difference is negligible. Tell me what you recommend, and why! I ride about 100 miles per week when I am riding (kinda taking ... Read More »

2009 Specialized BG Pro road shoe?

Has anyone been riding the 2009 updated Specialized BG Pro road shoe? I am looking to change shoes and pedals this season and I tried them on and they fit and feel very good. Just wondering if anyone can compare them to the 2008 or older version. I'm currenty riding the S-Works Boa from 2007 and the ... Read More »