Specialized Pro Road Shoes

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Our premiere road racing shoe that is an uncompromising combination of materials, engineering and technology to help you achieve the most performance possible while keeping you comfortable, all the while reducing the risk of riding induced injury.

Submitted by RMR a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Strengths:    I'm happy with almost every aspect of this shoe.

The metatarsal button is what feels odd initially, but I've ceased to notice it during most rides. Even when I do, it's not uncomfortable. I don't know if it helps prevent numbness, but I don't suppose it's doing any harm.

The heel hold is outstanding.

Ventilation is very good.

It's not as stiff a shoe as some top-end models, but it's plenty stiff.

The overall fit is outstanding (for me, at least). Generally roomy, but not wide.

The best part is the "varus wedge" - the outward tilt of the sole - which keeps my knees in superior alignment.

The arch support is fantastic. All other shoes now feel as unsupportive as sandals.

Overall, these shoes feel as though they lock my foot into place - the right place, that is - like a ski boot, but do so with as much comfort as any other shoe.

Weaknesses:    It's not abnormally heavy, but there are much lighter shoes out there.

The cleat positioning puts my right heel (only my right, though) slightly too far out.

The excellent ventilation means that I'm always having to use heavy socks and/or toe covers. I can live with this, though.

Bottom Line:
It feels odd initially, but it's helped my biomechanics and now other shoes feel hopelessly unsupportive. Very comfortable, too.

The value rating is based on what I actually paid. All top-end products are a poor value compared to the second-tier items, but I can't help myself.

Favorite Ride:   So many good rides, so little time...

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle

Similar Products Used:   No other road shoes, but several mountain bike shoes: Shimano (something old, newer 320), Nike (Cairns), and Northwave (Stealth).

Bike Setup:   Time Impact S

Submitted by Welsh a Recreational Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    All of the above - they work for me!

Weaknesses:    a bit more weight, but with all the features
built in it explains why...

Bottom Line:
I know that Sidi's are good. I used them untill I saw this shoe. It has a metatarsal button
built into the shoe that speads the bones of the foot during pedaling to prevent the nerves
from being crushed, as well as a longitudinal support which holds the natural arch of the foot
to aid in power transfer, as well as a Varus wedge which holds the foot in a stable position
to prevent "knee wobble" and rolling of the foot. The rep at Dukes told me that the shoe is
amazing, but works better for those with a more pronounced arch and narrow profile to their
foot. That was me! Having a poor left knee was one of my reasons for selecting this model.
After months of riding I am a convert.
No, absolutely no numbness, no "hot spots", solid power transfer, and easy adjustment to boot.
Good looks and solid construction help too. Also, one major, was that I use Speedplay X2
pedals which have a more pronounced cleat and the BG Pro has a wonderful rear heal tab for
walking that makes the cleat much easier to walk in.

Favorite Ride:   Deserted back roads near Uxbridge Ontario

Purchased At:   "Dukes" Toronto

Similar Products Used:   Sidi shoes - last pair was 1.5 yrs old.
I was going to get the Genius 4's but these
shoes had more features that I needed for pedalling
comfort.

Bike Setup:   2001 Giant TCR 0

Submitted by javier a Recreational Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff and confortable

Weaknesses:    A bit overpriced and heavier than SIDI.

Bottom Line:
Great shoes, fit like a glove great geometry. After many miles of riding confort is not an issue with this shoes.

Favorite Ride:   Speci

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Michigan

Similar Products Used:   Shimano carbon and SIDI Genious.

Submitted by Shihtzu on EPO a Road Racer from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    stiff

Weaknesses:    body geometry kinda makes toes numb
heavier than sidis

Bottom Line:
Good shoes. Some guy who reviewed the comp gave it a 1/5 because he said he couldn't get the cleat forward enough. I don't know what he's talkin about?
My cleats fit right where i want them to.
I'm giving them a 4 because they are a bit overpriced.