Specialized S-Works Road Shoes

Specialized's 2011 S-Works Road shoe. The double boa design allows for greater adjustment and 'dial-in' ability for the rider, while adding to the comfort and weight savings of the shoe. Carbon soles with a 12.0 stiffness factor rating.

Submitted by Dan Hughes a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable Tight fitting shoe, with a very stiff carbon sole, BOA lacing system allows shoe to be tight without pinching, good venting

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
A great road shoe with a very stiff sole, and with the BOA lacing system allows the shoe to be tightened over the foot evenly. a very light shoe with a carbon sole. However these shoes are quite expensive but are worth paying for as they are a good quality shoe.

Submitted by brad.bradley a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, feel, sole, adjustability

Weaknesses:    Synthetic leather outers scuff easily

Bottom Line:
I have read the other reviews and, really, cycling footwear is subjective. What fits me may not fit others the same. That said. . . . . .got rid of all my other shoes and have 4 pair of the S-Works. Love them, love them, love them. Thinner and more comfortable carbon sole than other shoes, better feel, no hot spots for me, so nice to be able to adjust while doing 30 in a pace line. Much lighter than most other shoes and I like the feel of a stiff yet thinner sole than other brands. Not trying to trumpet Specialized but they do a great job on their non-bike lines like shoes and cycling clothing. Had one boa issue in two years and they fixed it at the Specialized shop.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Ergo 2, Nike Poggia, Nalini sharks, Northwave SBS, DMT Radial

Submitted by jabbahop a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, ease of adjustment, comfort, power, very light

Weaknesses:    snug to put on, price

Bottom Line:
I have a wide foot and so have always used the Sidi mega shoes which I really liked. I finally was convinced to try the S-works shoes and I am blown away after using them for my first race. I was a leery using brand new shoes on a tough race like the Tour of Battenkill but they felt good on the warmup so I gave it a shot. 62 miles of tough climbs and brutal dirt roads and I had zero issues with my feet or shoes.

The one thing that stands out vs my Sidis was how efficient they seem to generate power. Not sure what it is but they just seem quicker on the peddles. They aren't cheap but man are they great shoes!

Similar Products Used:   Sidi 5.5

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    Feel good out of the box. Hole in the bottom allows water to drain. After I snapped them I bought some Bont Vaypor shoes. Much better shoes.

Weaknesses:    Hot spots develop on very long rides, not as stiff as a Bont. Also more expensive and less comfortable. The white is hard to keep white and they look old very quickly.

Bottom Line:
Had mine for about 4 months and snapped the carbon in the sole (there was no impact). Absolutely zero service from Specialized, won't replace the shoes, won't return my calls or emails.

Apparently they use the same carbon in their top end bikes. Wouldn't touch them unless I was sponsored by them.

Submitted by LEOPARD M2

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    well ventillated, light, easy to adjust, great heel cup, stiff as one would ever need

Weaknesses:    cannot repair a scuff so be careful

Bottom Line:
Started riding Sidis back in the late 70's and they felt like riding in bare feet,,, but when I slipped on these new S-Works they felt much better than bare feet on the floor do ! Complete instructions about how to maintain the pulley system came inside the box and are very EASY to understand. I was told by the seller to keep the lower adjustment very loose and work more on securing the upper wheel and cable for a firm fit. The heel cup is really-really good as it does wrap around and up my heel for complete support.
Guess one just needs to buy the proper shoe for the actual foot shape rather than for price and looks. Common sense really. Saw lots of them on riders in the Pro peleton last year too.