Specialized Sonoma Shoes

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

A great fitting, multi-purpose comfort shoe with patented Body Geometry technology, SPD compatibility, and a smooth, walkable sole.

Submitted by tcat a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2011

Strengths:    Great styling, they don't look like cycling shoes. You can wear them anywhere but they are heavy.

Weaknesses:    The laces are the only weakness. The new models use Velcro. I just might retire mine for a new version.

Bottom Line:
Perfect for the recreational cyclist. I use them with toe clips. I'm using other shoes for more serious types of riding. These shoes are perfect for around town or causal riding.

Favorite Ride:   Bridle path

Purchased At:   Eddys Bike Stow OH

Bike Setup:   Mostly vintage MTB's.

Submitted by Tut a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Strengths:    Looks nice. Soft sole (if that's what you're looking for). Velcro 'tab' to hold shoe lace knot is helpful. Difficult to put on.

Weaknesses:    Not for the avid cyclist. Feet will go numb. Soles are slippery when wet.

Bottom Line:
These shoes might work well for the beginner, but when deciding to take your biking to the next level, they won't work for the serious cyclist. After 20 miles my feet would go completely numb and only getting off the bike would help. Recessed cleat is nice, but if you're taking cycling seriously, you shouldn't be stopping along the way.

Favorite Ride:   NA

Purchased At:   dont remember

Similar Products Used:   Nothing to compare these to as of yet.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Advance Composite frame

Submitted by Argentius a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    Walking in completely normal -- you'll forget they're cycle shoes! Relatively inexpensive. Quite stylish-looking, even as 'just shoes'. Lighter than similar MTB shoes. Won't freeze your feet on coldish days.

Weaknesses:    Sole is not very stiff at all, and the rubber gets beaten up quickly by walking and concrete. Laces wear out easily. Laces making getting them on and off take longer. ONLY compatible with SPD-like cleats (and probably eggbeaters, maybe time); not compatible with LOOK or Speedplay cleats at all.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a new road cyclist who wanted to both commute daily and also ride fast recreationally. They're great for commuting and walking around in, sort of like an MTB shoe. At a glance, you can't even tell it's a cycle shoe -- the recessed cleat is nice, and I think they're 'good looking' shoes, even to wear around. But when it comes to serious road riding, they can't keep up. They're just not very stiff. I switched to a carbon-soled shoe, and I'll never go back to something like the sonomas; instead, I just carry some sandals or chuck taylor's in my messenger bag when commuting. If you want to just ride around town, then this may be the way to go. After the massive hot spots and soreness in my feet following my first two centuries on these guys, though, I had to change.

Bike Setup:   Basso fixie, velocity/miche HB wheels, campy brakes, etc. Also a Fuji.

Submitted by chbarr a Recreational Rider from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff sole, but very comfortable. Reflective material on the back.

Weaknesses:    Light tread can be slippery on the wrong surface.

Bottom Line:
These are probably the best shoes ever for the recreational road cyclist. Offers a lot of the benefits of a road shoe—stiff soles, light tread, while still providing good walking performance. I’ve used these shoes for cycle-commuting, centuries, and a vacation (using bikes to get around town, then walking through museums). I personally like the look of laces, and the “keeper” gizmo on the tongue works well. They are very comfortable--I wish I had shoes like these for regular off-bike use. I feel these are great shoes for anyone who wants a good performing shoe, but still needs to walk off the bike.

Similar Products Used:   Airwalk Cranks

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000 (fun), Trek 7200 (commuting), both with Ritchey Comp Pedals

Submitted by Albert a Recreational Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort, affordability, styling.

Weaknesses:    Honestly can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
The moment I tried this shoe on I knew I had finally found what I wanted. This is the most comfortable clipless pedal shoe I've ever worn. The sole is stiff enough for quick speed bursts, yet flexible enough for normal, yes, normal walking. It seems like the perfect shoe for recreational and charity rides, as well as touring and century rides. Does the fact that they are black make them any
hotter? I live in Miami, FL. where temps over 100F on the asphalt are not uncommon. With the proper socks it is not a problem.

Favorite Ride:   all