Castelli Progetto-Y Shorts

3.25/5 (12 Reviews)

Castelli Progetto-Y

Submitted by BK17 a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Very comfortable...more so than any previous shorts I've used.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps the price?

Bottom Line:
I've only used them on 3 rides but I've been impressed. They're quite comfortable...no chaffing. I should also note that I've washed them and haven't experienced any fading, peeling, wear, etc.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi Microsensor, Giordana

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works - Dura ace

Submitted by tim irvine a Racer from austin, TX

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    good bib

Weaknesses:    cheap construction

Bottom Line:
ok short, good grippers, comfy bid, nice chamois that falls apart fast ... canot be sewn back together...bummer

Purchased At:   cycles 360

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi, Descente

Bike Setup:   Colnago Master, record w Nucleon tubulars

Submitted by bug753 a Racer from The Dalles

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Great quality very comfortable shorts.

Weaknesses:    You can get 2 pair of Giordana or Voler shorts for the same price.

Bottom Line:
I bought these after reading so many articles on how great Castelli Y shorts are. And I'll admit that they are a really good short, however, I was a bit disappointed because to me they seem no better than Giordana or Voler shorts. Which are really good shorts also. It was just being the Castelli shorts retail for twice as mush as the other brands listed above I was expecting to discover a new level in the comfort of shorts and it wasn't there.

Favorite Ride:   215 in NC

Purchased At:   O2Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi, Giordana, Verge, Alexia, Assuie, Voler, Dirt Desing, Sugoi, Etxe-Ondo, Hind.

Bike Setup:   Colnago Ovalmaster, Dura Ace.

Submitted by Andrew Hill a Racer from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Strengths:    nice shape, looks.

Weaknesses:    totally unreliable.

Bottom Line:
Bobbins! Nice fit but that's where it ends. Took the first pair back because the logos were peeling even before the first wash and the lycra had bobbled in places. These were exchanged and I thought everything was fine, even bought my wife a pair. Now i can relate to some of your other reveiwers. After long rides of over 100kms I return with chaffing and a rash on my arse. The logos on my wifes have also almost peeled off completely after only several weeks. Have you also ever tried to pee with the bib short on?

Purchased At:   Cecil Walker

Similar Products Used:   Assos, scott, decente

Bike Setup:   Corrado custom built frame from Liverpool England - full muscle back end and forks. Dura Ace, Easton EC70 seatpin, look pedals and Cosmic wheels.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort, fit, coolness of chamois. Deluxe Scorpian logo!

Weaknesses:    Expensive if they don't work for ya.

Bottom Line:
I gotta say, I really like these bibs. I am sure it's like saddles, everyones butt is different. They fit well, are comfortable and supportive and I didn't have any of the rash or chapping that other reviewers reported, even after the 100+ miles of Solvang last year. It's a shame that the two most individual items for comfort (saddle and shorts) are both so expensive. Try one, don't like it? You just DUMPED $200. Oh well, I guess that's why the wife calls the bikes the other women...
Give these shorts a shot.

Similar Products Used:   Supergo Ultra sensor bibs (nice too) Performance bibs, Shimano team short.

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized Allez Sport, 105 gruppo, Mich. Race Pro tires, Selle ITalia Octavia saddle, Weyless Carbon Fibre seatpost (NICE),Speedplay, Ritchey Bars, & Stem, etc, etc, etc,