DeMarchi Countour Plus Bibshort Shorts

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

CONTOUR BIB SHORT PLUS Probably the most advanced cycling short, features new contoured panel design, multiple fabric technology and the ultimate multi-density elastic chamois. TECHNOLOGY - Dry3+ heavy Lycra construction with Intera for superior form-fit and effective moisture-management - Modified 8 panel design for improved cycling performance - Elastic Interface Technology “Race” chamois insert for a new dimension of saddle comfort - Bib version: integral mesh straps and mesh back insert for maximum ventilation

Submitted by lawr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2009

Strengths:    Great support, fit and comfort

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
This review is for the De Marchi Contour EVO Bib Short - a step up from the Contour.

Found it on sale at Realcyclist for $140.00 and gave it a try after trying on Assos etc.. Best change I've made in a long time. I've been using Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Bib short for more than 10,000 KM.

The De Marchi EVO uses a new chamois that moves independently on each side. As soon as you put it on and walk you can feel the difference. On the bike the support is great. No need to rearrange anything and no bike sores after 1,500 Km. The Pearl Izumi didn't do anything great or terrible - the De Marchi does everything very well. Liked it so much I bought a second pair.

I'm @ 6" and 180lbs and need an XL - even then I find them slightly short on the leg (I have a very long femur) but perfect everywhere else. I ride just about every day - @300 Km a week.

The best thing I can say about them is that they disappear and become a non issue even on my long rides - I guess that means they are doing what they are supposed to do and doing it well.

Favorite Ride:   65-100 Km

Purchased At:   Realcyclist & WCP

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi P.R.O. bibshort

Bike Setup:   Lynskey R330, Sram Red, Dura Ace carbon/aluminum wheels

Submitted by zriggle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Very well-padded, never bunches up. Wicks sweat great, etc.

Weaknesses:    Pad doesn't always align with sit-bones, leads to a lot of material "out front". Leads to lots of adjusting. Again, I probably should've gotten a small.

Bottom Line:
Great bib for the price I paid ($90 vs. $200 msrp). I think the ones that I got (size M) are a bit too big for me, as the pad doesn't quite fit right (I'm 5'6", 150lb, 30" waist).

Favorite Ride:   Sweaty

Similar Products Used:   Other DeMarchi, Louis Garneau

Submitted by Corry a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, excellent chamois, nice fabric.

Weaknesses:    as with all good shorts, they are a little more fragile...

Bottom Line:
These are great shorts. I also own a pair of Assos f.i mille and these may actually be more comfortable. I've noticed no bunching and the chamois is perhaps the best going right now.

As for sizing: I am 6ft. 2, and have a 33 inch waist (when it comes to jean sizing--if I actually measure my waist with a tape measure, it's closer to 37 inches). I got XL and it's just tight enough.

I went on one ride with a small bag attached under my seat and the velcro that attached to the seat post caught on this fabric. DeMarchi doesn't use the run of the mill nylon/spandex mix. The fabric is softer, more comfortable, but more fragile as well. Now I just keep my spare tube in my jersey pocket. I actually prefer that to the bag, anyway.

Favorite Ride:   Provo Canyon

Purchased At:   Backcountry.com

Similar Products Used:   Assos F.1 Mille, Trek, Nalini

Bike Setup:   Trek 2.1

Submitted by agaltman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    I've tried the most expensive brand of bibshorts, and frankly, they're resting on their laurels. De Marchi has done much more to make their bibshorts seem tailored to the rider. The chamois really feels like it wraps around you, the pads are thick where they need to be, the fabric of the bibs is very supple, and the straps are ideal - they hold up the shorts without chaffing you chest. Note, however, that I am tall and slim - these might be too snug for a bigger rider. They are Italian, after all.

Bottom Line:
I had read reviews around the web that said good things about these bibs, and having liked De Marchi's lower end bibs, I gave these a try. They are quite simply amazing. And if you can get them on sale (i.e. not for the $200 list price), they're a great deal.

Similar Products Used:   Assos, Pearl Izumi, Performance, Descente