Louis Garneau Ergotex Shorts Shorts

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Louis Garneau Ergotex 2 Shorts has 4-way stretch textured (waffle) fabric which provides amazing ventilation and breathability but also, a great fit in motion.

Submitted by Glen a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    The price was right. :)

Weaknesses:    Chamois

Bottom Line:
Fabric is good, fit is decent, chamois is crap. The chamois is a bit too large and diaperish feeing to begin with, but the real problem is the swiss cheese look and feel of the chamois. After just a one hour trainer ride I had more tenderness than I have from any other pair of shorts. The LG air gels are fantastic, I'll try these ones a couple more times, but it's not looking good or feeling good.

Favorite Ride:   Milford area

Purchased At:   C to F in Livonia

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi Evolutions, LG Air Gels Air Gel shorts rock!

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez

Submitted by Damon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent fit, light, breaths well.

Weaknesses:    none at this point

Bottom Line:
I bought two higher end shorts after 3 years of using entry level shorts. This pair and a pair of Canari. The Ergotex are a perfect fit. They are light and no chaffing.

Favorite Ride:   route 58

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Canari, Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Klien Pro Q

Submitted by Tubasti Mann a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2004

Strengths:    Hey, the fabric is great, look great.

Weaknesses:    Horrible, chamois slashes me to bits (yes, the size is correct) excrutiating abrasions if ridden for more than twenty minutes, though there is a sweetspot after about an hour, and for about an hour, but when you step off you'll howl.

Bottom Line:
RUBBISH, RUBBISH, RUBBISH! Louis Garneau, you should ashamed of yourself. Sorry, but funky padding looks great, and the short body fits fine, but the chamois rips you to pieces, it's like riding on razors. I've had the misfortune to own a few pairs of Garneau shorts recently, featuring various chamois designs. Bought these as the cheaper units were ripping me up, but these ones.... slash your butt with a Ginsu knife and sit in some salt water. I swear my backside must be permanantly scarred, etc.

Favorite Ride:   Big 62

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi (lovely) Assos (too much $$$), Cannondale, older Nike, Gordini

Bike Setup:   02 Colnago Master XL, have tried SI Turbomatic, Flite, old Turbo, Trans AM, also Bontrager saddle, San Marco, these shorts don't get any better with a saddle change.

Submitted by innergel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Perfect fit, super comfortable, high quality chamois, durable.

Weaknesses:    Kind of pricey, but no worse than any other high end pair of shorts.

Bottom Line:
These shorts are fantastic! I have had mine since Dec and I have never had one problem. I have worn them for every kind of ride from short spins to centuries in the wind, rain, and cold and they are as comfortable as the day I bought them. They fit perfectly and look like they are new. They are the first pair of shorts I reach for when I'm getting dressed. And I have every other pair of high end shorts on the market. The waffle-like fabric is much better than standard shiny lycra.

I think the other reviewer got a bad pair of shorts, esp. with his experience with that shop. I'd email LG and see what they say.

Favorite Ride:   downhill with no cars and a tailwind

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   You name it, I've got it. PI Microsensor, Castelli PY/VT, Sugio Ricaro Technifine, Voler, etc.

Bike Setup:   I have a bike with a Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel saddle and an Easton EC70 post, other than that, what does it matter for a review of shorts.

Submitted by zippity a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    Comfortable design and padding.
Cool fabric.
Seams are double-stitched.

Weaknesses:    Cheap material.
Pilling started almost immediately and padding lost it's loft within a couple of months.
Overpriced.

Bottom Line:
I've got the bib version of these. They were very comfy at first and especially good for hot weather. After a couple of weeks I noticed they were starting to pill in the seat but kept wearing them 'cause I liked the way they fit. In short, they're made like crap and of all the shorts I've owned these have worn the fastest. Utter waste of money. Even the logo cracked and peeled after a few months! (Turns out everything I've bought from this LBS has been about the same value...I won't be back.) I'm really an average size racer - 5'10" and 160lbs - so it's not like I'm punishing these things. Get a pair of Sugoi Technifines, they're the best I've owned.

Favorite Ride:   9W NYC to Nyack and back