Home | Reviews | Shorts | Sugoi

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Sugoi Technifine

Submitted by crashnick a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Strengths:    Were comfortable until they wore through

Weaknesses:    Poor stitching; inferior fabric; unwillingness of Sugoi support to do anything than reiterate their warranty policy

Bottom Line:
Bought these to replace another pair. Seam in chamois tore out in less than 6 months. Sewed it up. Another tore out in 3 months. Wore large holes in the seat. Never had any other brand of shorts in 20 years with this poor of quality. Contacted support team and received unsatisfactory response.

Favorite Ride:   Death Ride

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Submitted by jfriedrich a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    Strong fabric, excellent chamois

Weaknesses:    Pad just vaporized (if you find it let me know).

Bottom Line:
I hate to be the lone dissenting voice, but here goes. I just replaced these shorts b/c the pad totally and completely collapsed. I couldn't figure out why my butt hurt, and then realized the pad had disappeared. That said, the fabric, fit, and chamois are great.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi

Submitted by arsegas a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    Well-constructed, durable material

Weaknesses:    Just didn't fit me quite right

Bottom Line:
These pants are durable, and have plenty of padding, but just did not fit me quite right.

There was so much padding, my "soft tissue" ended up getting pushed to weird positions, which was a pain on longer climbs. In addition, the padding, while plentiful, is rather soft...I find I need firmer padding for longer rides. I recently switched to Pearl Izumis Ultrasensors provide a better fit for me.

Favorite Ride:   Tunitas Creek

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor

Submitted by Stinson a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Strengths:    Awesome customer service. I wanted an XXL and Sugoi worked with Velotique in Canada to get these special ordered for me. Check out the Canadian bike shops for great US prices. The price above included the shipping.

Weaknesses:    Might be a little to breathable to ride in cold weather.

Bottom Line:
Great fabric and great chamois. These are best for warm day riding as the fabric is a little thin. My Boure shorts are better for colder days. Very well made shorts. Theses guys know how to sew.

Favorite Ride:   Marin Headlands

Purchased At:   Velotique in Canada

Similar Products Used:   Boure and Peral Izumi

Bike Setup:   Dean El Diente with Selle Flight Gel.

Submitted by TexanTexan a Racer from Keller, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    Design, functionality, comfort, dryness, black/grey color scheme, non-chaffing seams, durable

Weaknesses:    Can't unzip a fly and go pee . . . that's the only bad thing I can think about.

Bottom Line:
I went in to buy Pearl Izumi and the bike shop steered me toward the Sugoi's. Thanks! At first they felt like I was wearing a diaper, but the thick chamois really works well. The lycro-blend fabric stays totally dry no matter how hot and humid our Texas days get. They fit like a glove and have great seam placement. One big bonus is that they have a really high waste line that helps keep the waste "up" in the back so when I'm riding aero I don't flash everyone else my butt crack (or get a sunburn). Also, inside the seam around the thigh is a really sticky "ring" that helps keep the pants stuck (in a good way) to your leg. Nice touch. Plus, they have some grey fabric woven in so they look good, too. The seat seems durable, too. I sit on cement to work on my bike/chain/tire stuff and the butt isn't pilling. Also, the chamois is easy to keep clean.

Favorite Ride:   Texas Motor Speedway

Purchased At:   Bicycles Inc./Keller

Bike Setup:   Q-roo tri bike, syntace aero bars, spinergy rev X, selle italia saddle, giro pneumo skid lid, speedp