Home | Reviews | Shorts | Sugoi

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Sugoi Ultimate

Submitted by sham a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Great chamois for those who don't like alot of padding between the legs. Great wicking, which you need in the AZ sun.

Weaknesses:    Crack kills! I guess this could be a strength, because your friends won't want you to pull as much.

Bottom Line:
Had them 2 weeks then returned them. Apparently, in full sun, the shorts are full moon. Maybe it is the new Matrix material, but when the sun is at certain angles, they are see through. Of course, my friends didn't mention anything until the end of the ride. I have a similar pair of Sugois that I really like. I bought these for the fit and the thinner chamois. I don't like the diaper feel, but I guess the new material isn't as good.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi Technifine (with a different spandex material), Pearl Izumi Attacks

Submitted by holtonh179 a Recreational Rider from Phoenix AZ

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2003

Strengths:    The chamois is ultrasuede, is comfortable, and shows NO WEAR after 2,400 miles. I often wonder about the really expensive bike shorts that have the fancy fabric. Does that fabric really hold up? I've never used anything other than ultrasuede, but I suspect I'd tear the fancy fabric shorts to shreds. Anyway the Sugio Ultimate shorts are fairly comfortable (see my exception in the weakness section below).

Weaknesses:    The pair I bought are unisex. (Does the Sugoi Ultimate short come in men's and women's styles?) Anyway, the unisex shorts crowd the family jewels a bit (and I'm no John Holmes). Other than that, they are quite comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I've had these about a year and a half, and they are my only pair, so they get really used (about 2,400 miles). The lycra is getting thin in the thigh section on both legs, so it's time to replace them. Otherwise they have held up very well.

Favorite Ride:   Downhill with a tailwind

Purchased At:   Southwest Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin mountain bike and Novara Forza road bike.

Submitted by Lance417 a Weekend Warrior from Sugar Hill, GA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2002

Strengths:    Craftsmanship, well balanced design of pretty sufficient---yet not too much---padding.

Bottom Line:
For ME, cushion under the sit bones is a big thing, as I sit my indoor trainer for atleast an hour at a time. At one end of the spectrum are my Performance Classic shorts, which offer minimal comfort and craftmanship. Then my Cannondales and P.I.'s. At the other end of the spectrum are my Performance "Elite Multi-L" Shorts. The somewhat "diaper-feeling" shorts offer the max in sit bone padding---but a smidge overly padded.
Enter the Sugoi Ultimate shorts. Not quite the same sit bone padding of the "diaper design" shorts, but noticably better than the less expensive shorts. Craftmanship seems to be top notch.
On my indoor trainer where padding means everything, I'll give the nod to my Performance "Elite Multi-L" Shorts (espacially at #39). But, when I'm riding on the road, where you tend to get out of the saddle and relieve the sit bones, these Sugoi Ultimate shorts will be on. Due to the various other elements concerning shorts design and materials, these get the overall nod of any shorts I have. Again, not QUITE the cushioning of a diaper, but better than anything else.

Favorite Ride:   Any FLAT road