Assos ProsLine Airblock Tight Tights/Pants

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

When in 1976 Toni Maier - Moussa founded ASSOS his prime objective was not to make money but to create the finest most comfortable functional innovative and durable cycling apparel possible. The kind that serious cyclists ...

Submitted by kevin32 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Strengths:    Great fit and good at blocking the wind.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Not really usefull below 20 degrees for me.

Bottom Line:
Best non-padded tights I've used to date. Live in the upper midwest and can ride 1-2 hours in these with temps between 20-30 degrees. Any colder and it's trainer time.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi

Submitted by vsimmons a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    comfort, fit, quality

Weaknesses:    buy them

Bottom Line:
Where I live, It usually doesn't drop below about 40. I use these when it's 40-55 degrees, and they are awesome.

Submitted by Bob F. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    Rugged construction, easy on-off.

Weaknesses:    Not truly insulating by themselves. Sizing is misleading. I bought the large and should have gone up one size (my measurements are 6 feet tall, 165 lbs, large quads).

PRICE! I paid $220. That's twice what they're worth.

Bottom Line:
These tights are a huge disappointment. I currently live in SE Virginia and the winters are not what you'd call brutal, though we often get runs of days in the upper 20s and low 30s in Jan/Feb. I bought the Assos tights for days such as these because my regular lycra tights with an undergarment just didn't cut it. I soon found that these Airblock 851 tights did not live up to their reputation (or their price!). At about 40 degrees my quads and glutes became wooden with cold after about an hour in the saddle. By the time I got home I could barely lift my leg over the bike to dismount. I didn't shake the cold until I'd taken a hot shower and even then I could feel the skin was still chilled to the touch. I have no idea what these would be like in REALLY cold weather, but I shudder to think about it. I think they require a base layer to be effective, but that seems to defeat the purpose. Then we're just talking about an insulating air layer.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale Road Bike

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Columbus, Ohio

Similar Products Used:   Lycra stretch tights from various manufacturers.

Submitted by a Road Racer from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    Airblock panels very effective
Comfy- stirrups good vs. wind, straps don't dig in to shoulders, etc.

Weaknesses:    Mild pilling after 15-20 rides, not sure
if this will become a problem.
Like all Assos products, prohibitively expensive(I know it co$t$ a lot to manufacture in Switzerland, but please...) - about $180 list price

Bottom Line:
These pad-less tights are the best I've used to date, the airblock panels are extremely effective. I've been comfortable in conditions as cool as 20 F, give or take a couple degrees, which as I recall is somewhat better than the manufacturer's claims. But, as I got these in November, I don't know how far above 55 or so they'd be usable. Spring will tell. Overall, an excellent and much needed addition to my collection, as I commute throughout the entire winter.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Castelli bib tights, couple of varieties(also very good)

Bike Setup:   whatever

Submitted by RoadDog a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort, warmth, function. XC skied in 5 degree F temps, kept me warm, wind protection and provides freedom of movement. No pad on this tight for versatility.

Weaknesses:    Expensive but expect it to last a long time.

Bottom Line:
Excellent fabric, outstanding construction, great style, unbeatable performance.

Favorite Ride:   St.Girons-Loudenville France

Purchased At:   totalcycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Castelli bib tights, Pearl Izumi tights (multiple versions), Moonstone tights

Bike Setup:   2 wheels, 2 metallic triangles, a dash of rubber, simulated leather and hodge- podge of composite and forged gadgets.