Pearl Izumi Greptile Handlebar Tape Bar Tape

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by fit2endure a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2004

Strengths:    grip!

Weaknesses:    paper tape, terrible. after awhile the tape began to seperate from the grippy material

Bottom Line:
not to bad, lasted a little over a year. not too much cushion. bought the gloves and never really had any mishaps. if looking for good grip, works well. looking for cushion, use a different product

Favorite Ride:   my last one, and the one i am about to do

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   GT,Ultegra Components

Submitted by Tmack a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Strengths:    Sticky, no slip, not excessively cushy

Weaknesses:    Picks up glove fuzz and stuff, end tape sucks (use electric tape or something, not a problem big enough to loose a + ), maybe not cushy enough for you? Also, wrap it tight, stretch it just slightly or it will look/feel/come loose a bit.

Bottom Line:
I got the gloves on clearance about two years ago, and immediately noticed an increase in grip (though less cushy than normal bike gloves). Even on my mountain bike I noticed an improvement with less slip. Feels like they actually stick to stuff. Once I got my roadbike setup, I got the bar tape at the outlet store for about $7. While it does have less cushion than cork, the improvement in grip more than makes up for it. Sine you dont have to grab as tight to keep from slipping, less cusion is needed (you dont squeeze all the cushion out just trying to hold on). Even more amazing is the lack of slip in the rain. It does have a tendancy to pick up fuzz and other stuff and hang on to it, but that can be removed easily and it only makes it look a little dirty after a while, doesnt affect performance.

Favorite Ride:   N. Ga

Purchased At:   Pearl Izumi Outlet

Similar Products Used:   Cork that was on my bike, other cheap imitation cork.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Comp, full ultegra, Carbon Kenisis fork, Shimano 535 wheels, WTB tri-lite seat.

Submitted by Draider02 a Road Racer from Roslyn, Pa

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Grip is far improved, nice amout of padding. Never knew how much slip I acctually had, you can relax your grip and still hold firm leading to less hand fatigue.

Weaknesses:    the look, it is a little odd but is ok. Although the gloves' leather had little bits that come off and stick to the tape surface, just a little aesthetic flaw. Paper tape, I suggest use electrical tape then put the paper tape on top.

Bottom Line:
In my search for new gloves I came accross an ebay auction for the greptile gloves and tape for less than $20. The delivery came today as I wes stepping out the door on a ride. Instead of stopping and retaping I just switched gloves and went out. I immediately noticed how much more stick I had to my cinelli cork. After a good ride I was sold on the gloves so I switched out my tape also. I then went for another 8 miles and I have nothing but the best to say. I gave a few extra turns in my drops to add custion but my fears of no padding was unwarrented. The gloves are minimalistic in their padding, but what they have is placed perfectly for me (a climber and/or sprinter) The tape also, may be less firm in it's cushion as the cinelli, but it enough for a good hard and like me, heavy rider.

Favorite Ride:   Customized Raleigh R500

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   cinelli tape

Bike Setup:   Raleigh R500, Shimano 105 full group, 3t Mutant stem, selle italia oktavia, 9 speed 105 w/ triple

Submitted by Ron a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Really good grip.

Weaknesses:    Cheap paper tape.

Bottom Line:
This stuff has a really good grip. It is not hard, but it is not real cushy. I used black electrical tape at the end to hold, works much better than the cheap paper tape that comes with it.

Purchased At:   ColoradoCycle