Salsa Cycles Goma tape Bar Tape

1.5/5 (2 Reviews)

* Rubberized handlebar tape embossed with peppers
* Yellow, Gray, Black, Orange, Red or Blue

Submitted by Cracked Headtube a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Strengths:    This stuff last. As long as you don't go down and scuff it up, it really takes a beating. I also liked the bright orange when it was installed. Wrap you can clean.

Weaknesses:    It was tough to wrap the bar, as the tape doesn't have much stretch. Having come from GEL tape this is has a harder feel to it. Especially on the road. Also, the birght orange gets dirty pretty quick.

Bottom Line:
I bought this tape because a friend and former service manager I worked for loved it. He swore by the stuff. I really love gel backed tape, but I went ahead and get this a shot. I first had the handlebar setup on my cross bike, then the parts went to my road bike. I've used this tape, now on the road and cross applications. Standard STI shifters and Salsa dropbars, with an ergo bend.

Favorite Ride:   n/a

Purchased At:   Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Gel, Cinelli Cork, Soma Thick n Zesty, Cinelli GEL

Bike Setup:   Shimano STI, 9spd Dura Ace and Ultegra, custom aluminum frame, kinesis aluminum fork, Salsa wrap and Salsa short n shallow bars. 600 brake calipers, 105 crank, shimano pedals, American Classic Hurricane wheels, WTB Solano tires

Submitted by racerveza a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2007

Strengths:    Cool embossed logos.

Weaknesses:    Very inelastic. Kinks when wrapping around bends.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big Salsa fan, and I bought this tape to match my Las Cruces frameset. Unfortunately, it's almost completely inelastic, so it tends to pucker wherever the bar bends. The result looks untidy and feels lumpy. Salsa also offers a gel cork tape, which is probably much better. It lacks the cool logos, though.

Favorite Ride:   Top Secret Testing Grounds