Specialized BG Phat Bar Tape

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• Reduces hand pressure
  • Clear viscoelastic pads
  • Adds minimal thickness to the top of the bar

Submitted by Kristatos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    "Fattens up" 26mm bars nicely, provides more area on top, just right amount of grip and give, inserts work nicely with my setup including 26mm bar and Record 11 shifters. Inserts were big enough for my 46cm width bars, could easily be cut for smaller bars.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, would not use this on a competition bike unless I was racing somewhere relatively flat with rough roads.

Bottom Line:
I had been looking for something to wrap on the 26mm diameter bars on my favorite custom built bike as I had gotten used to the feel of the larger diameter carbon bars on the bike that I primarily use for racing and group rides. Bar Phat so far fits the bill - it's not lightweight but it definitely beefs up the bar and makes it feel right to me. It's not squishy or soft, and has just the right amount of give. I put the gel inserts on the tops only and left out the ones for the drops. I was able to run the inserts right up onto the campy hoods so it feels seamless between the tops and the hoods, and makes for a nice cockpit. The tape itself seems very sturdy as it took a while with a utility blade to cut out a hole for the campy hood cover's little rubber peg to fit in that prevents it from slipping around. As is typical the finishing tape was too short so that went in the bin and I used black electrical tape instead. Riding with it has been nice - it has a slightly rough surface texture to provide grip. I don't get much rain in San Diego so I can't comment on how it holds up in wet conditions and how well it repels water.

Similar Products Used:   Recently have used Cinelli cork tape and Fizik soft-touch

Bike Setup:   Steelman custom steel w/Record 11

Submitted by scovol a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Strengths:    shock absorption

Bottom Line:
This came on my Specialized Roubaix CF bike. I love the stuff.

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   roubaix, durace, ksyrium, etc.

Submitted by samh a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    Absorbs some shock.

Weaknesses:    Bar tape itself not great, thin, could tear, price.

Bottom Line:
Someone mentioned to try bar phat tape, so I bought one. I bought 2.5mm version (not thicker version). This consists of soft bartape like a absorbent tennis overgrip which I found not durable
(thin and could tear easily) but which did not contribute a lot to shock absorption. It comes with 4 thin (2.5mm) gel pads for bar drop and top.

The gel may have absorbed some shock but also contributed to a loss of feel to me and this only works where it is placed, so when you are holding brake hoods, it does not work. You feel more detached, which can be a good thing or not.

Favorite Ride:   any