3T Bio Morphe Handlebars

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Top of the range full carbon handlebar. H.M Carbon handlebar Ergonomic design to make it more comfortable 31.8 centre bulge diameter Double grooved 190gm

Submitted by hbg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    More comfortable than traditional bars in most positions.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, difficult to tape.

Bottom Line:
These really are different from other handlebars. Feel fantastic in the drops with easy reach to levers. Riding on ends of drops is suprisingly comfortable for extended periods... a position I've never really used before, and a nice alternative on windy days. Riding on "bends" is almost like leaning on the ends of flat bars, and comfortable for long stretches. Only complaints: I prefer round bars for riding the tops, and you have to be really careful taping them, as with all the bends they use up more tape than traditional bars. Overall really well conceived, if hardly traditional. I'm a recreational/club rider, and not sure these would be the bars of preference for racers.

Favorite Ride:   good weather, good roads, good friends

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   A variety of traditional and ergo bars.

Bike Setup:   Kuota Kharma, Campy Record and Chorus, Airy XL7 wheelset (not common in US), Thomson, Aliante.

Submitted by Wang Kaiyuan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2007

Strengths:    The shape is impressive at first sight. Light and very stiff when laterally pressed. The bend is what is called shallow, and it does have some special designs to be an ergo bar, which make you easily find the right position where your hands should be during long rides.

And it is really really stiff!!

Weaknesses:    Not really a weakness. But you need to know the length marked on the bar measured end to end. For this handlebar, the place where you install the shifter (the hood) is 2cm narrower than the size, while the lower of the drop is how wide the size indicates. So you'd better try it before you take it. Maybe you need one size bigger.

Bottom Line:
Comfortable, light-weight, stiff

Favorite Ride:   YuanDong Ave.

Purchased At:   Shanghai

Similar Products Used:   aluminium bars with big bend (belgian style)

Bike Setup:   Custom painted full carbon frame and fork
Dura-Ace 7800 Group
Ritchey WCS alloy stem and seatpost
Selle SMP stratos saddle
Crank bros quattro pedals
Novatec Spirit wheels with Panaracer evo2 tires.

Submitted by MDT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable, very ergonomic, plenty of hand positions. Cool looking carbon bar. I'd have a hard time going back to traditional bars after using this one.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, a bit heavy. Fit may be an issue for those with large hands.

Bottom Line:
I have about 700 miles on these bars so far. I bought them because I experienced some discomfort and restlessness in my hands on longer rides. Immediately I noticed some hand positions were a big improvement, while others I initially had mixed feelings about. I think that was mostly because these bars feel so different from traditional bars.

After some time, I came to really appreciate these bars in many ways. I notice the difference the most when I ride my other bike with traditional round bars, which by comparison, now feel less comfortable, plain, and dull.

One note: I have fairly large hands, and although these bars fit me ok, if the bars were any smaller or compact in shape, they wouldn't fit. If you have larger hands, I suggest you try them before you buy them.

Overall, very good, comfortable handlebars.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Kestral, Ritchey, Easton

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Ultegra, with some upgrades.

Submitted by MDT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable, and offer more hand positions. Cool looking carbon bars.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, and a little bit heavy. Check your hand size fit.

Bottom Line:
I have about 700 miles on these handlebars. I bought them because my hands felt restless and uncomfortable on longer rides using a traditional bar. Immediately there were a couple of positions that were a big improvement, while others I had mixed feelings about, as these bars are quite different. After a couple hundred miles I came to appreciate the features of this bar and truly enjoy it. I notice the difference the most when I ride my other bike with traditional round bars, and the difference is significant. Traditional bars now feel less comfortable, plain, and dull by comparison.

I have fairly large hands, and although these bars fit me ok, if my hands were any larger, they wouldn't fit some surfaces of these bars. Give them a try before you buy if you can.

Very unique, anatomical, and comfortable bars. Different, but in a good way. I'd have a hard time going back to traditional bar again.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Kestral, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Ultegra.

Submitted by msohio a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2006

Strengths:    They fit like a glove. All the little bumps and indents make it really work. My hands, wrists, arms and shoulders tell me they work for me.

Weaknesses:    They are not a cheap date and very hard to find.

Bottom Line:
These are great bars. I ride about 100-120 miles a week and they make it easier on my body, that's for sure.

Clearly designed by someone that actually rides a lot. I had heard about them and finally found someone that had them on a bike. He raved about how unusual and functional the various contours were. Sure the bar looks like a set of drop bars, but the attention to making them comfy over a long ride is very evident. I had a set of FSA ego bars and the Bio Morphe's are vastly superior IMO. What it boils down to is they are better thought out in the design. Lots of little things that all work out right when you ride 'em. I like the shallow reach a lot, makes the drops easier to use for a longer interval.

They are not a cheap date, that's for sure. But if you want to make your body flat out feel better on a longer ride, 2+ hours, I think these bars are worth the price.

Favorite Ride:   Lance Armstrong Foundation's Ride for the Roses